Naps... - Oxford,MI

My daughter is 14 months old, how many, how long should she be napping?? My Mom watches her and does not want to switch her to one nap yet...what do I do?? Now she gets up at 6:15am to go to my Moms and naps by 9:30-10 for 1-2 hours than by 2-3 naps again for 1-2 hours. Than to bed by 8pm on the weekends she sleeps to 8-8:30. How does other 14 month olds nap??

Thank you everyone for your input!! I am going to comtinue the two naps....my Mom was happy!! I will let her tell me when she is ready for one.

Hi A. -

Every child is different with their sleep cycles. Let your daughter decide when she's ready to go to one nap. I wouldn't force her to go down for a nap but if she is falling asleep I would definitely put her down. If she doesn't need the sleep she'll just play in her crib and not sleep. That's when you know it's time to go to one nap a day.

If your daughter is sleeping 1-2 hours for her morning nap, then she still needs two naps. My daughter let me know when she was ready to give up her morning nap at 15 months of age (too early for me!!!). I would put her down for her nap around 9-9:30 and she would be quiet for about 15 minutes to half an hour and then decide it was time to get up. Enjoy the two naps while you can!

This is totally normal. Enjoy it while she takes two naps. If she is sleeping that much, she still needs it. My 3 1/2 year old still takes a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon.

I would let her take two naps. My daughter is almost 2 years old and would love to take two naps. Unfortunately, she is at daycare and they only have one a day. On the weekend, she takes two. They are usually two hours. If you have the ability, let her sleep. She'll be a much happier child. Hope this helps.

Your baby is the best judge of her naps. When my daughter was that age, I let her sleep as much as she wanted and she let me know when she was ready to go to one nap a day. Plus she gets up early to go to your moms so I wouldn't worry about a little extra sleep. My daughter is 3 now and she sleeps 12-14 hours a night with a 1 1/2 hr nap also. We are just lucky enough to have good sleepers:) I hope that this helps.
-J.

A.-
I have a 14 month old little boy. He takes one nap a day at 12:30- 2:30. He goes to bed every night at 9 p.m. and is up at about 7:30. Every child is different, but if my little guy was still taking 2 naps a day, I'd have probs. getting him to sleep at night. As far as your mom goes, if you want to switch your daughter to 1 nap, then just tell her that. Let her know that you appreciate her help, but 2 naps is too much. Hope this helps. Good luck!!

My twins are 13 months old and on occasion take one nap a day. If this happens they wake up around 7:30 and then lay back down at 12:30 or so. But they are crabby by 6:30-7:00 and have to go to bed for the night by 7:30.
I hate putting them down for the night so early but I think this is our chance to start the transition from two naps to one.
But on some days they are on the exact scedule as your daughter...as they have been for many months.

That sounds about right on with my 14 month old daughters schedule. Sometimes she takes a long nap (3 hours) in the early afternoon, and then doesn't need another later. But if your dd won't sleep longer earlier, then she'll probably still need that second nap. Sounds like you're doing everything just fine!

1 / 3