My Six Year Old Cant Tie His Shoes

my six year old boy cant tie his shoes i have tried many times but it seems like he dosnt want to pay attention so i get frustrated and stop does any one know of a simple and easy way to keep my sons attition so that he can learn to tie his shoes.

I tried many things, my 6 year old just got it, and she's only months away from being 7 yrs old. I think they just want to want to do it. Now she is excited each time she gets it. Just let him try on his own or don't worry about it.

See, my problem is that I don't have very good patience, and personally I think at 6 you should know how to tie your shoes or at least be trying. All I can suggest is making it fun for him. Give him lots of praise and maybe a treat if he can do it all by himself. This worked with me teaching my nephew who's hard of hearing, to tie his shoes. The only reason I managed to work hard with him is because my sister tried EVERYTHING and couldn't so she bet my $50 I couldn't teach him either. He learned to tie his shoes at age 5 1/2 and I became $50 richier!

Good Luck :D

I wouldn't sweat it. I suggest (just suggesting) that you keep encouraging him but when he decides that he wants to start tieing his own shoes, he will. He isn't going to be a senior in high school and still asking you to tie his shoes right? My son (who will be a senior next year) didnt tie his shoes "on schedule" either. But, when he decided he was ready, then I started complaining about how much time he took to tie his shoes...seeing as how we were usually in a hurry everywhere we went. I had to give him a good 5 or 10 minutes everytime he put his shoes on. HA HA. All we can do is the best we can do!

Here's a shoe-tying song that I found a few years ago...

Criss Cross Tying Shoes
(Tune: Splish Splash I was taking a Bath)

Criss Cross and go under the bridge
Then you got to pull it down tight
Make a loop but keep a long tail
that is how to do it all right
Then you take the other string
and you wrap it 'round the loop
Pull it through the hole
Now you've got the scoop
Criss Cross and go under the bridge
Now you made a double knot!

I used to have a book that looked like a shoe and had laces in it for the child to practice. It worked well w/ my oldest, but then again he wanted to learn. My 2nd never had a desire to learn to do it, he's 10 and still can't tie his shoes right...lol

My boys actually learned from the children at his school. Sad to say that my husband and I didn't have anything to do with it. My oldest who is now 12 learned when he was five at the daycare he was at. My youngest who is now 8 learned when he went to kindergarten by one of his buddies. I promise, he will learn one way or another, just be patient. :)

1 / 3