Tips for Teaching How to Tie Shoes

Ok, I am at a loss. I am trying to teach my 4 year old how to tie his shoes and he is just not getting it!!! He really wants to learn and I am trying oh so hard to try and be patient and show this boy how to tie his shoes but to no avail! Does anyone have any tips? Thanks in advance ladies you guys always come through.

Thank you everyone! lmao at Brooke! i was trying to get him out of the velcro lol but if he doesn't get it in the next couple of week s then that might be the plan,

His fine motor control may not be there yet, especially if he's on the hyper side. Just be patient.

All about tying shoelaces:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/index.htm

Including how to tie shoelaces so they don't keep coming untied over and over and over:
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/slipping.htm

Does your son have a bath robe? If he does, take the belt off of the robe, put it around his waist and teach him how to tie a bow that way. Then once he gets the concept, you can go back to his shoe laces. Its the same strategy. Since the belt is bigger, it will ne a bit easier. Good Luck!

All about tying shoelaces:

they actually sell wooden shoe frame type thingys LOL, that help to teach children how to lace and tie their own shoes. This might help

My 9 yr old still has a very hard time with it. He sees an ot for fine motor skills though and just writing is hard for him. We punched ome holes in a shoe box cover got him some laces and let him go to town with it.

I know I had a hard time tying my shoes when I was young. My uncle taught me a trick that made it sooo much easier for me. Instead of the 'loop, swoop, pull' meathod of tying shoes, we would tie the first knot, then make two 'bunny ears' and tie them together. This knot isn't as secure, so it's always best to double-knot it... but it's easier for little people to do.

None of the cute tricks worked for me: One bunny ear, two bunny ears, bathrobe, etc. The only thing that worked for us was to have someone other than a parent teach it. It's as though we worked at it so hard for so long that there was a block between us. Having the neighbor explain it just took one time. Within 20 minutes everything in the house that could be tied was being tied!

This may not be the case for you, but bringing in another trusted adult or older teenager may be helpful. Good luck!

You've got great responses already, but I just want to add that I didn't figure out how to tie my shoes until I was 6 - so you might want to keep showing him if he wants but also be patient and give it more time. Maybe he's just going to have to be a little older for it to "click".

1 / 3