My Lil girl.sigh. How Do I Make Her More Comfortable?

She is 7 months old. She had her shots today. So she got a fever. She also has had a stuffy nose for the last 3 days. I have tried the steam bath. But it just comes back. She is miserable. Not sleeping thru the night waking up and fussing and crying because she can't breathe and I just saw today that her second tooth is comin in. which do i help first how do i ease all of it? any advice is appreciated. thank you.

So sorry you guys are going through this. My first son would have the same reactions until I started to space out his shots. I think some babies do a lot better with just a few shots at a time. I hope next time her symptoms are not bad. Also motrin has always worked well with both of my kids for fever and teething. Good luck:)

There's a really cool snot sucking thing called nose Freda. It works so much better than the bulb syringe. Might have to try a health food store, specialty pharmacy or whole foods to find it. You'd be amazed how much snot you can remove with it.

I am a big fan of homeopathic remedies, they do have worked for me and my kids in the past. You can find them at Wholefood Market.

This are three little things you can do:

Similasan Homeopathic nasal spary is safe for babies. (WFood market)

Baby Simply Saline (nasal mist) at Walgreens, Kroger or any store.

BABYRUB from Vicks... (please make sure is the one for babies) Rub it in her chest and back just before going to sleep.

And if possible put something, a pillow or anything UNDER the mattress in order to create a little inclination. Notice that when the baby sleeps in her chair or even a swing she breaths better because she is more upright.

Hope to have been of help, good luck!

PS... also maybe you could try the homeopathic teething tablets that are sold everywhere. I did not need them with my kids but I've heard they really work.

the nurse at the peds office told me to give my DD a dose of tylonal right before her shots about 30min and that can help. My ped told me not to use baby oral gel with teething because it's easy to give too much. We used tylonal and motrin in your situation but we staggered the dose with tylonal first and then motrin 1 hour later if needed. Write down when you give a dose and what it is so you don't forget because tylonal you can give every 4 hours and motrin every 6 hours.

If the steam bath helps, then I would suggest getting a steam vaporizer for her room. It should help her sleep better at night. I'm sure there are some over the counter cold remedies and/or all natural remedies you can use. I would suggest to call your pediatricians office and speak with the nurse to see what they recommend.

One thing to watch out for is congestion that makes a crackling sound in her chest when she breathes, and if she is having trouble breathing and her stomach is going in and out and it seems like she can't breath it may be bronchiolitis. If that happens call your ped but you may have to take her right in to the doc or to the ER. My son had bronchiolitis at about age 2 and we ended up at Texas Childrens ER. Luckily it is easily treated with some breathing treatments and a take home inhaler. Right now with the weather changing it's the season for these types of illnesses.

Hang in there, I hope she feels better!

Next time she goes in for her shots, give her a dose of Tylenol or Motrin. It helps minimize the symptoms. I did it with all three of my boys and it always helped. For her stuffy nose, try using Vicks Waterless Vaporizer. You can buy it at Target, WalMart, and Babies R Us. It has been a lifesaver with stuffy noses and colds. Depending on how bad the stuffy nose is, you can up the amount of scent coming out. It will get better I promise. Good Luck.

Ditto Kristen U

Infant Tylenol or Motrin, or both of them together at the same time. (they have different modes of action, they can be taken together... but if you haven't already been told this by your ped/nurse/pharmacist... don't take my word for it, but call the 24/7 nurses info line and ask them. Also for the correct dose by weight).

I gave my daughters tylenol about 30 minutes before they took their shots. My doctor recommended staggering tylenol and motrin, but not in the way described here by many mothers. Since tylenol works for four hours once four hours had elapsed I gave them motrin, usually at bedtime. Once the six to eight hours for the motrin elapsed i gave them tylenol. This is my doctor's version of staggering. I was told to never give tylenol and motrin at the same time or during the same timeframe since they are both pain relievers/fever reducers. Even though they don't work the same, they treat the same treatments. Giving both medications at the same time is like giving a double dose of either medication. Parents are also cautioned to pay attention to what symptoms any medication you are using is treating so you don't give medication with a fever reducer then also give them a separate fever reducer.

1 / 3