30 answers

My Daughter Swallow a ROCK!!

Hi moms, as always I come to your expertise in this difficult/akward situation I am going through.
My 2 and half daughter swallowed a small rock (size of a marble). I bought a beutiful candle arrangement in IKEA that came with some decorative rocks, I was putting it in the table and she took one rock, I told her Sofia please give it to mami.
She started running in circles, she put the rock in her mouth and then when I grab her and put my finger inside she swallowed it.
I call the peditrician and he said the worse fear is gone since it did not get stuck in her throat, that now I have to check her poop until it comes out.
If is more than a week and it has not come out I need to bring her in for an xray to see where the rock is.
Well this was sunday I have been digging on poop for 3 days and nothing so far.
I am worried has anybody experience this????
Any help it is appreciated!
Thanks and have a nice day

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

Hey Moms!!!
The rock is out! I finally found it on her diaper, and I show it to her, she burst out laughing. Even though I took the arrangement out I hope it does not happen again, digging poop is very disgusting...only a mom definately...Well she found it very funny.
Thanks to all....you help me sooooooo much to easy my mind, and to take it easy. Take care!

Featured Answers

Hi! my son did the same thing w/a plum pit. the doc siad "this, too, shall pass" & it did. just give it time. V.

My son swallowed a guitar pick. They had us go in for the x-ray that day but it was already low enough - I guess in his intestine - that it wasn't a danger. They told us to watch his behavior and if he seemed to be in any paid, to come back in. It passed without us knowing.

Hope that helps! Good Luck!!

I have a friend a friend who's daughter swallowed a penny. She was told by her doctor to watch her poop to see if it comes through. It finally did. It took a couple of days. My nephew swallowed a nickle and it came through just fine. Good luck. MR

More Answers

My daughter swallowed one of the bandaids they put on her from an immunization shot. The only reason I saw it was because it was bright yellow. Otherwise I wouldn't even have known about it. What color was the rock? Would you necessarily have seen it if it was a neutral color (assuming your daughters poop is a "poopy" color)?

I wouldn't worry too much, as your ped said, the fear of choking is already passed. I was an EMT for years and we transported several kids who swallowed things. The only time it was of concern was when the coin got lodged in the esophagus. Otherwise, they were always told to just let it pass.

If you are still concerned, it sure wouldn't hurt to get an xray (other than your daughter getting scared maybe).

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Hi! my son did the same thing w/a plum pit. the doc siad "this, too, shall pass" & it did. just give it time. V.

Usually the acid in her stomach will help desolve the rock! So the rock should be coming out in pieces. If it doesn't come out within 5 days take her back to the doc.

T.

Take a deep breath and relax, children swallow any number of things as they grow up and most of the things that can not be digested are just passed through the body. As your pediatrician has advised, give it a week, if you want to help the process, add a little more fiber to her diet in the form of fresh fruits and veggies or whole grain bread that would be fine.
Good luck,
K.

Thankfully if my son ever swallowed a rock, I didn't know about it. He's 12 1/2 now.
I however, was an experimental child and always tried to swallow things :)
I swallowed a rubber band, a marble, a small rock...well that was 26 years ago and I'm ok. :) I would stay on poop duty though. The biggest fear is that it can cause an obstruction and get lodged in the bowels. But it can take several days for things to process through our digestive systems so don't start worrying too much now. Do as your doctor said and just keep checking.

Because you all know she swallowed it, the likelihood of anything awful happening is slim.

I have a friend a friend who's daughter swallowed a penny. She was told by her doctor to watch her poop to see if it comes through. It finally did. It took a couple of days. My nephew swallowed a nickle and it came through just fine. Good luck. MR

my daughter swallowed a penny when she was smaller and i wasnt even aware of it until i saw something shiny in her poop so im sure there is nothing to worry about eventually it will come out but if it worrys you alot then mabey you should get the xray just to ease your mind

My son swallowed a dime when he was about 3 yrs old. I was also told the same thing about the choking so we didn't have to worry about that. I also did not find it in his poop so we did an xray and it was no where to be found. It probably came out but we missed it. There were no bad effects from this. He is now 10 years old and very healthy. So don't worry. I'm sure she'll be fine.

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.