My Grandson Swallowed a marble....need Advice

My 5 years old grandson swallowed a metal marble last week, he was taken to the emergency room, where the doctors told my daughter to wait until he "poops it out" by himself...well he has not done it.

He might have the marble removed by surgery...I don't want that at all..any suggestions?

How long has it been since he swallowed it? Often times it takes 2 or 3 days for things to go through the digestive system. Does the child have a "poop" every day, or just every so often? I would suggest taking him to his regular doctor and see what he says. But the ER doctor seems to me to be taking a proper approach-if it had been somthing sharp, that would be a whole different story. It might not be easy to see in a BM (poop) if the BM is large, so you may try holding a (fairly strong) magnet over the BM and see if you feel any pull. If you do, the metal is in there, even if you can't see it.

My kids have swallowed marbles. It passes in thir stool. I usr to have them eat a dry bagel and somehow it pushes it out!!

it is highly unlikely that he will need to have the marble "surgically" removed by incision...IF they need to do anything, it will probably be by means of a tube like a colonoscopy (from below) or endoscopy (from above) to fish out the marble....I would say be patient, wait as long as the ER doc told you to wait...and then take him to the pediatrician's office for another x-ray to see what's going on. These type of things are very common and doctors see them all the time; they know how to handle it and certainly won't do anything unnecessary.

Well, I first would say, a marble being so small, I think it's possible that he already passed it and no one even knew. If this is surely not the case, try applesauce, prune juice, or any other known laxatives.

The other thing I wanted to say is that while it's wonderful that you are a concerned grandma, in the end, even though you "don't want that" as far as surgery goes, it's your daughter's choice as to what's best for her son.

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure that it was only ONE marble.
There was an awful episode of Grey's Anatomy, based on a true story.
If kids swallow more than one of the magnetized metal magnets they can do enormous internal damage trying to get to each other!!!

When I was younger I accidentally swallowed a peice of a metal ball. It goes right through your body the only thing that happens is when your body starts to break down the metal it becomes really hard to go to the bathroom. So if he hasnt already gone since you posted this message you might try giving him some stool softner so he wont be afraid to go. Good Luck!!

My son swallowed a marble about a month ago. Weird; it is common.....lol. Anyway, he took a long time to poop it out. It finally came out 3 weeks ago. I would check his poop everyday. But it came out. But with it in or out he was the same. However I was glad when it finally came out. Good luck. Lisa

Are you sure he did not poop it out? My 5 year old son swallowed a marble a few months ago. The marble was not obviously seen in the poop. My husband used a strainer to scoop the poop out and then ran it under hot water. 3 days later the marble appeared. Your grandson would first need an x-ray to determine if the marble is still there. It could've come out unnoticed. If it is, try an enema. That could possibly force it out.

1 / 3