My 2 1/2 Week Old Is Has a Cold!!! I Need Help!!

Hello everyone,
I have a 2 1/2 week old baby boy that unfortunaly got a cold from us. The whole family got a cold...our symptoms are stuffy and some of us runny nose (thick), headache (pressure), throat pain. And since last night I think my newborn got it. I can sense it when he breaths like he is congested somehow. He doesn't have a fever, diarrhea and he eats fine but slowly like he has mucus in his throat. You know! And of course the weekend and no doctors open. Can anyone recommend me what is the best thing to do since he is so little?
thank you

First of all, thank you all for being so helpful! So, last monday I took him to the doctor and he advice the same thing as many of you, keep him elevated, vaporizer, use the bulge to get his mucus out and so on. But today is Friday he is still doing the same, congested, can't sleep that much. I heard that it might take up to two weeks. But what I'm still worried is that he is so little....just 3 weeks.

The only other thing I can suggest is that if you don't have a pediatrician relationship established enough to call them on a weekend, then call the labor and delivery ward where you delivered. They will at least be able to get you through the rest of the weekend until you can call a pediatrician on monday... or they might be able to let you talk to their on call pediatrician.

Just keep that nose as clear as possible.... babies that young don't know how to breate out of the mouth so if the nose clogs up, they can't catch their breath.

The pedicare or childrens plug ins are great...also the infants nose drops saline (little noses) ...good luck

Hi N., my name is C.. I am not a doctor or a nurse. I am a mom of twin 16 year old girls. They were born at 33 weeks. So all their ailments were mountians not mole hills. Sounds like your litle one does have the beginnings of a cold. I suggest you take the suction syringe and suction out his throat. Just to see if he does have some mucus settled. I did this with mine quiet often. It saved a lot of doctor office trips. Just be really careful not to stick it too far, you just want to check to see if there is anything there. If there is, then tomorrow he should see the doctor, because of his age, doctor is best for now. I will be praying for you and the little one. I pray that everything turns out good for the little one. May God Bless you and you have a wonderfully blessed day!

Don't waste your money at the doctor. Here's what they'll tell you (I guarantee it...)

Put a pillow under the crib matress when he sleeps. Use a humidifier in his room. Use saline drops and a nasal bulb syringe to help with the congestion. There is no medication that they will give you unless they find him to have an infection, although there is a Vicks vaporub for babies, but check the label for the ages. If it's a virus, it'll just run it's course.

One word of caution from my own experience. Try to find one of those bulb syringes that have sort of a guide so you don't push it in too far (I think the First Year brand is the one we have). I had one from the hospital that I stuck in her nose too far and caused a little bit of bleeding.

Good luck N.! I"m so sorry your baby boy is feeling sick.

If you don't have a pediatrician, call one close to your home or one you wish to go to...........
and they have an afterhour call care system and can tell you where to go. You can't take chances with a baby so little. I would keep him sitting up in a carseat so that it is easier to breath. (Urgent care places are good too....)

good luck

I'm so sorry to hear that. My little one got sick from my husband once, and I was devastated. I know how you feel.

Sorry this is late, but I would slightly warm up some saline nasal drops and put a few drops in his nostrils. Let the drops stay there for a few seconds, then suck them out with one of those nose suckers things they give you in the hospital. Also, if you are breastfeeding, it will help, because he will get the antibodies your body is making. Also, you can try a humidifier. Those things should help get him through until you can get him to a doctor or until it clears.

Don't feel too bad though. It probably doesn't affect him as bad as it affects you. Good luck.

Try a vaporizer in the nursery with eucalyptus oil in the well instead of the Vicks. The eucalyptus is much more soothing to mucus membranes. You'll find it right next to the Vicks for the vaporizers. There are some baby baths that you add to the water to help ease congestion as well. Don't forget the nasal bulb syringe! Just be sure to squeeze the air out of it before putting it in your little one's nose. If your'e in the Orlando area I hightly recommed the After Hours Pediatric clinics. I've had to take my 9 year old there twice for croup. They are quick and very pleasant healthcare providers. Good luck!

Elevate(or lower)one side of his crib so his head stays elevated. Also SUCTION SUCTION SUCTION HIS NOSE. You don't want it to turn into an ear infection.
M. (FL)

if he has no fever then try a warm bath to break up the congestion and when you lay him down for naps or bedtime have a humidifier that will hold vix get you some infant vix to put in the humidifier when he naps or sleeps at night. this should help with the congestion. my pediatrician recommended this when my last child had bad bouts of croup and it worked great.

1 / 3