My 17 Year Old Will Not Drink Water.

What is the next best thing to drinking water. My youngest son never like the taste of water. Now he is almost 17 and still doesn't drink water. He's always had problems with constipation since he was little. For the past two months, he has been having alot of stomach problems and had numories tests ( colonsocopy, upper GI Endoscopy, blood work and nothing is coming up wrong. So what else can he drink besides water that is good for him and that will do the same as water does to your system?

Thank you everyone for responding to my question. I've read every single one. I will try some of the suggestions that was offered. One of the questions were... (Did my son ever like water) Yes, my son did like water somewhat when he was younger. We have well water, and it really doesn't taste that bad. I always had and still do have bottled water in the house. He didn't like to drink regular milk, I had to put a little strawberry in it. You know I've tried to take all the other drinks away from him, but guess what he didn't drink at all. I always keep OJ in the refrigerator, I drink a glass every morning. He would drink that all day and then I would have to buy OJ every other day. So thats not working either. He use to drink Propel alot, but then after a while didn't like it. I will have to start buying that again. I'm going to have to be stern and sit with him and have a huge talk on how important it is for him to drink some type of water or flavored water in order to make him feel better. I should also invest in a water purifyer as well. Thanks again. And if anyone else has a different suggestion send them my way.

My kids don't like to drink water, not to say they won't. I stopped buying anything else. I would buy orange juice and they would gulp that down,and then they were left with water. I did this until they relized they would have water for a week before I would get more juice. And when they get into the car after practice all I would have ready was iced water. They relized it felt really good. So now my 15 prefers to drink water with ice and after chomps on the ice and gets additional fluids.

Hi, D.:
Get the book: "The body's many cries for water."
Whatever way to get him to drink at least 4 cups a water a day.
Good luck. D.

I, too, hate water. I drink Lacroix or seltzer water with lemon in it. It has been the best thing for me because I drink much more than I used to. I'm more hydrated. Maybe have him try that.

I think this falls under the category of "Just Drink It!" If he has health problems, he needs to do this just like he needs to take medicine sometimes. It is a disservice to him to not "encourage"him to eat and drink healthily. He needs to get over it and just do it. It is the best thing he can drink for reason beyond the medical problems. You want him to grow up to be a man who is healthy and takes care of his body so now is the time to teach him.

Whole fruit is probably the next best thing, with fiber, vitamins, and water contained within. Fruit juice is not nutricious, although occasionally okay and likely to help. They make "light" varieties too but that just puts more chemicals into his body.

PS - I was jus tthinking about what I do for weight watching reasons - I always have water first. If I am craving soda or something sweet. I always fo and have sa drink of water, sometimes only a few ounces. It fills me up a little so I can make a rational decision. SOmetimes I still go for soda or dessert, but sometimes I don't. Maybe tell him to always have a glass of water first, even a little, and it sort of take sthe pressure off.

Hi, D.:
Good luck. D.

FIJI brand water tastes good, let him try that.

I don't like water either. I buy the Country Time Lemonade packets and put them in a 16 oz bottle of water. There's also flavored water he may like.

Sugar Free Kool-aid, Limited Decaf tea with artificial sweetener, Sugar-free Sports Drink (if there is such a thing). You want him to consume water not calories that's why I suggest sugar free. Of course, I'm sure you know to avoid caffeine. Really, the best thing he can do, is just make up his mind that he is going to drink a large glass of water whether he likes it or not. I don't like water myself. I sometimes feel somewhat dehydrated and will force my self to drink water. I fill up a 16 ounce glass with water and just chug it. I have a son with constipation problems and the doctor told be to put him on a daily dose of MiraLax. You can get this over the counter. My daughter also has constipation problems and a little prune juice helps her.

What type of water are you giving him? Is it city water? I wouldn't drink that either. LOL Nothing is the next best thing, to be honest. Did he drink it as a kid? I only offer water to my children. They almost never get anything else. It's just what we do. We weren't always this way. For awhile, they wouldn't drink water either. I started by telling them they had to drink 2 glasses of water in a day before they could drink anything else. They downed their water and moved onto juice or whatever other garbage we had. Then, I upped the amount of water they had to drink. Within a couple of weeks, we pretty much only had water in the house. Now, that's all they drink. They love it. It works. It's what all of us drink. It is what they have with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They don't even remember those long ago days when they drank anything but water. It takes discipline, but it is possible to teach him to drink water. You are the parent. Right? It may be much harder at this age to undo the lack of discipline in this area of his life though. Hope you can help him work through this!

1 / 3