What Drinks Are Safe During Pregnancy??

I have been drinking lots of milk,juice,and water for awhile.Recently though just plain old water makes me sick to my stomach and I can't seem to keep it down.I would love to have some Sprite or other caffeine free soda,but is it really safe?? Also,can I use crystal light packs in my water? Flavored water doesn't seem to bother me,just the regular water.I've given up soda completely since I found out I was pregnant,but I'd really like some variation in what I can drink.Any advice?? Thanks!!

Wow thanks for the great,and fast,responses!! Most of you tend to agree that Pelligrino (or however u spell it lol) and other flavored waters are best,and I haven't tried seltzer water so I'll have to see about that.I did just drink some water and only a little came back up this time so hopefully I'll be able to keep drinking it.I'll definetly try the lemon or limes slices in my water,didn't think of that.And making my own juice wouldn't be to hard either.Thanks for all the good advice!!!

Perrier or Arrowhead sparkling water are my favorites!! No calories or sugars. I am addicted to them and I'm not pregnant lol
Most of the time soda is just too sweet anyway. But Perrier has a grapefruit flavor it is soooo good! And Arrowhead has pomegranate, orange, lemon, lime and raspberry-lime. Seriously that's all I drink, now if I could just stop eating dessert! Haha

Nothing with fake sugar...like Equal, Sweet n low, stevia, etc...try making your own lime juice or lemon juice with fresh lime/lemon & real sugar, or juicing your own fresh fruits with maybe some veggies mixed in. Make sure to stay away from anything containing high fructose corn syrup, it's really not good for you. Congrats on the pregnancy! ;)
By the way, I drank Coke in the glass bottles from Mexico. It's made with real sugar...

well i must be a horrible mom b/c all i drank was sodas with my first baby girl. i was like you water made me sick well everything made me sick (i was on iv's for severe dehydration the whole pregnancy) so wheni could drink, i had coke... my baby girl was perfectly healthy. i think the key is everything in moderation!

soda of any kind is really hard on your body while you're pregnant due to the amounts of sugar and sodium - it will cause you to swell hugely and your body can't metabolize the sugar like it can when you're not pregnant so you gain fat quickly on it. That said, a sprite isn't going to hurt you as Karma said, but have you tried Pelligrino? It's naturally carbonated and contains minerals you can't get from tap water. Also, have you tried bottled water? There are only a few brands I can drink while pregnant and I wonder if it has to do with bottled water that's allowed to heat during transport, allowing the bottle to seep toxins into the water v. stuff that's kept cold, or if it's something else. Regardless, try different brands of water...

Also, do NOT ingest anything with a sugar substitute. It's dangerous for baby. So unfortunately, crystal light, etc, is out as well as the ready made kool aid mixes and such. Have you tried adding a few drops of concentrated fruit juice or flavoring? Vanilla, lemon, etc....

In the last two trimesters, I pretty much stuck with plain old water, and a cup of coffee a day (my cup of coffee is really 1/3 coffee, 2/3 milk). But when I had morning sickness, I pretty much lived on seltzer. I actually drank Coke, which is bad for you more than the fetus I think. The bubbles calmed my stomach, the "sugar" was about the only calories I could keep down in a day, and the caffeine kept me going through meetings when I hadn't slept. It's terribly unhealthy, but when you're desperate, you'll go with whatever you can keep down.

I think people are a lot more cautious about what pregnant women eat and drink than is necessary. Beyond living at Starbucks or lining up shots, your body should process out most of the bad stuff. Of course, *you* are the one who will suffer for that, so it's still a good idea to stick with healthy drinks and foods.

Having a Sprite isn't gonna hurt you or the baby...but have you tried the new Orange flavored Pelligrino? It is SO VERY YUMMY!

Try water with a slice of lemon. lime. orange or even cut up strawberry. Its natural, healthy and tastes good. You can have ginger ale, sprite, or other sodas just make it in moderation.

M

Caffeine free sodas are fine, but you want to avoid too much sugar intake. Also, carbonation my cause extra bloating that is already a common symptom of pregnancy. Crystal light is fine, but you also want to limit it to about 2 servings because it contains artificial sweeteners. My doctor told me to limit beverages with artificial sweeteners to 2 servings a day. You might try water at different temperatures. I found that ice water irritated the acid indigestion of pregnancy more. Warm facet water was hard to get down. You might try just one cub of ice to take the warmth off but not make it so cold that it irritates the acid indigestion. Decaf tea is okay too. Caffeinated beverages should probably limited to 2 servings per day, but if you can do without caffeine it is best.

1 / 3