Lost First Tooth, but Think Swallowed It - Now What?

We lost our first baby tooth this morning, but can't find it anywhere! So we think it got swallowed. What now? The tooth fairy will come, but there is no tooth to leave. Has anyone else swallowed their baby tooth? Did you (sorry gross but...) watch for it to come out of the "other side"? And if so how long did it take to make the trip? Or do you just chalk it up a loss and go on....I'm heartbroken not to have the "first" tooth though. Please tell me if you have been in the same situation and what you did. TIA.

My daughter also swallowed her first tooth! We just wrote a special note to the "Tooth Fairy" telling her what had happened and she was very generous. We were more prepared and waiting for the second tooth so that it did not suffer the same fate. We were able to retrieve that one and I was able to save it. Hope this helps you out!

My dd lost her tooth while eating chicken nuggets. Needless to say the swollowed her tooth and she was hysterical!! I made her write the tooth fairy a note telling her what happened. She felt better the next morning when the tooth fairy had made a stop under her pillow. It's sad not to have the tooth but its cute having the letter too. GL

Whenever we lost a lost tooth, we would just write a letter to the tooth fairy, she will understand ;)
I would not suggest trying to find it, not worth it at all.

If you need to perhaps help your little one "write a letter" to the tooth fairy explaining what happened... and leave the note under the pillow.

One thing to think of though, is do you want to begin by telling your children about tooth fairies, easter bunnies and sants, to only later have them find out your were not being honest- sometimes it depends on your child's personality but those who are literal. Will be taken aback when in a year or two they find out mom and dad lied about this... when they are telling me not to lie.

I know it's childhood fun... but something to consider.

My son did this same thing so I had him write a letter to the tooth fairy. Actually I think he told me what to say and I wrote it in crayon for him. It was really cute.

My daughter lost her tooth in the process of showing it to everyone. We never found it. She wrote a cute letter to the tooth fairy which I have in her baby book today. She's now 42.

Same thing happened to us. We left a note for the tooth fairy in place of the tooth.

My son swallowed one of his baby teeth. We just had him write a letter to the tooth fairy. She forgave him and left money. I never watched for it to come out. I know it's a first, but it wouldn't be worth it to me.

My son swallowed the first tooth he lost. We searched everywhere for that tooth, so assumed he swalled it. We too wrote a note to the tooth fairy, and she came that night. I was a little sad because I couldn't take a photo or anything, but I was not going to go hunting at the other end! A few weeks later he lost another tooth, we got pictures, he got money, all was well. I did a scrapbook page about the whole thing, so we will be able to look back on it. I feel like the memory is more important than the actual tooth, and it actually makes for a pretty good story too!

I am a big fan of firsts for my kids...but digging through poo for a tiny baby tooth is not something i will do. Just write in the baby book that it was swallowed...you will laugh at it later. I wouldnt worry about it, there are many more teeth!

Oh man...well it wasn't the first tooth that got swallowed but still my oldest did swallow one and he wrote the Tooth Fairy a note explaining that he did, it was an accident and it was a nice white tooth. We put the note in his tooth fairy pillow and there was no way I was looking for it coming back out. He did get $ from the tooth fairy and I wrote the memory down in his journal for a good laugh when he gets older.

My son swallowed his first 3 teeth!! I just had him write a note to the tooth fairy explaining what happened.... She left him money and sprinkled fairy dust in his room!
E.

the same thing happened to my son, he was 4 & 1/2. He was devastated. We wrote a note for the tooth fairy under the pillow. It was fine.

Write a note to the tooth fairy and she still comes!

My pediatrician has advised me, when I was afraid my child swallowed a lego, to feed him "food you see again" like corn. That way you know that the food has made it's trip through the body.

But, for the tooth fairy, why not leave a coin or dollar in the fridge? Tell your child it got left there! SInce that's where the food came from!

My friend's child did swallow his first tooth. She wanted it no matter what so she did watch for it to come out the other end and did get it. She said it was worth it! :)