Laundry Smell

Ooops... I goofed and forgot I had a wet load of laundry in the washing machine for the past two days... the smell coming from the laundry room was absolutely putrid! Anyway, I'm running the load through again in hot water with more detergent as I write this, but I'm afraid the smell is not going to come out of the clothes. Any suggestions to get the horrible smell out of these clothes (it was a load of lights BTW).
Thanks.

Thanks to all of you great ladies who responded. I ran the load through with just detergent before i had received your responses and that didn't help, so I ran it through another time with a cup of vinegar as suggested, and VOILA... clean smelling clothes:) I was really afraid I was going to have to get rid of the majority of those clothes, so thanks so much for your help!

Try washing them again using white vinegar and a standard about of detergent. Don't worry about the vinegar smell, it will wash out. I've forgotten about the laundry a time or two myself and this technique has always worked for me.

Try doing a presoak with some oxyclean. Otherwise I use baking soda too. I know, I've been there before! Good luck!

A. V.

Let the washer fill up with hot water and add baking soda to it, mix it up well then wash as usual. It should remove all smells.

I've always heard hot water and extra detergent. Sometimes you need to do it twice. I have a hard time b/c we have hard water...and to get the smell out takes a little more work. If you have hard water I've heard of taking a tsb of table salt and throwing into the laundry also. (Afterall what are they putting into water softners? Salt!)I don't know if this will help or not. Best of luck!

We've really struggled with this - the best advice I've received was to run the load through (a few times) with white vinegar and baking soda.
Recently, we've really had a problem with the mildew stink although it's not been because of leaving things in the washer too long.
Please let us all know if you find something that works!

an added advantage of vinegar is it keeps colors from bleeding.

I have done that more times than I care to mention. LOL! Running it through once more (sometimes twice) should do it. Like you said, make sure you add more detergent because it is now like a dirty load. I also use a little extra liquid fabric softener & then dryer sheets to help it out some. Good luck T.!

Put vinegar in your next load of clothes...works like a charm. I have a 22 yr old son that forgets alot (I think he does it on purpose so I will finish it for him!!) Anyway, I put a cup of vinegar in the next load and the smell is gone!

Use vinegar in place of your softener. I do this for all my loads. It works great! Clothes are soft too and it's much cheaper.

Add about a cup of vinegar to the water when you first put in the detergent and water, before adding clothes. It'll smell at first but once the clothes are dry there is no smell at all.

I add 1/2 cup of vinegar with the detergent/water of every load. Havent' used fabric softener or dryer sheets (I do have 2 dryer balls). Saves a ton of money and works great - haven't bought dryer sheets or fabric softener in over 3 years! (and no stinky clothes if they get left for a day or 2)

UNfortunatly this happens to me way to frequentley, I also have a cat that likes to urinate on my clothes that are to be washed. Odor-Ban works great for both smells. I also had noticed that my washing machine stunk and I just ran a empy load with odor ban and my washing machine does not smell any more.

1 / 3