How to Get Urine Smell Out of Blanket When Washing Doesn't Work

My son is a frequent bedwetter and there is absolutly no trigger that we can think of. He wet the bed the other night and I washed his blanket. I put it in the dryer and the dryer was making a funny noise(my husbands work clothes are full of rock) so I thought maybe there were some in the dryer but when I pulled the blanket out it still smelled like pee. I use All with oxy cleaner in it. The detergent has a smell also.(if that matters) I washed it in hot water. I have an HE front loader that is only a couple months old and always cleans well but this time it didn't. I put the correct amout of detergent in. What can I do? I am going to rewash it today. HELP I don't want our stuff smelling like pee!

I use baking soda and rewash a few times if needed. Also, Goodnights have saved me a lot of laundry.

The two things that work with me (one or the other) is Melaleuca's Fresh Scent laundry detergent or baking soda. I used to have that problem too.

baking soda and vinegar...

if that doesn't help - use borax....

Definitely try the vinegar, but I would also hang it out in the sunshine and fresh air.

Vinegar works great! Add a cup to your load along with your regular detergent.

You could try a product for pets that removes smells, or you could soak it in a bath tub with Oxyclean, rinse it and THEN put it through the washer/dryer.

I would bleach my son's sheets/blanket , or use a detergent with bleach for colors. I would buy the regular oxy clean and put that on the blanket first before putting it in the wash. Also, do you have a septic tank? It might be possible that it is backed up. Trying to think of anything. You could always have someone come and check on the washer / dryer if all else fails.

I agree with the post that mentions your washer not having enough water. I cloth diaper my son, and it took us awhile to figure out why our clothes always smell clean and the diapers didn't. Adding a couple of towels tricks the washer and adds more water and if you have the option do an extra rinse cycle.

vinegar. Also takes puke smell out of carpet...if you ever run across that issue :)

1 / 3