Help with Mildew Smell on Laundry

My husband was trying to be helpful and wash some laundry for me, but he ended up leaving one load of wet laundry sitting in the wash machine over night. Then he dried the load the next morning and now a whole load of bathroom towels smells like mildew. I tried re washing them in hot water but they still smell. Any suggestions for getting this yucky smell out? I have a front load washer and dryer. I will use what ever is necessary to get this smell out but was also wanting to see if anyone knew of a "green" solution? Thanks!

Thank you so much ladies for all the wonderful advice! I ended up using a cup of white vinegar with my detergant in the wash and then threw in a softner sheet to dry. No more smell! What an easy and cheap answer and I didn't have to buy all new towels like I thought I might!!!! Thanks again!

Add some vinegar to the wash cycle- works for me every time!! (Also gets out odors from potty training accidents!)

Put a whole cup of vinegar in with the load of laundry and also put fabric softener keep the close from smelling like vinegar. It always works

This happens in my house all the time! We use hot water, regular detergent, clorox 2 for colors, and a fabric softner. It usually takes care of the problem. Sometimes we put 2 dryer sheets in the dryer with the load too.

Try a 1/2 cup of vinegar in the wash. I use vinegar every wash (also good to keep colors from fading). Baking soda is helpful in cleaning, just pour some in the wash. Also, if you have something that could bleed in the wash, add salt. ( :

Does anyone else out there hate their front loading washer? I have such a problem with mildew and a mildewey smell on clothes with this washer. I thought it was a manufacturing problem, but there is a disclaimer in the product sheet that calls out the moisture problem and actually suggests wiping out the inside of the washer, seal, and door after each use. Who has time for this, right? I've learned to wipe off the door and any obtuse moisture and leave the detergent bin and door open after every use.

On occasion, I forget to let others know to leave open the door and not let the wet laundry sit for too long. When this hapens, I have found it helpful to run the rinse cycle again on this load...and then spin the clothes once more before placing in the dryer. Also, I will sprinkle some baking soda on a cloth and wipe the door seal dry. Baking soda is very green and is good for treating mildew. Good luck!

Add baking soda in with your detergent. (Works great for stinky dishwashers too!)

This happens a lot with front loading washers. Every once in a while we have to run a wash cycle with no clothing and with dilute bleach. New models have a basket wash button built in.

To save your clothes just rewash with Tide and add some bleach for white or oxyclean for colors. Use the hottest water you can for the wash but cold rinse is o.k. Everytime I use anything but Tide I regret it.

Make sure there is nothing stuck in the gasket like a sock or something that might be the source of a continued problem.

I have had this happen alot. I rewash them and add vinegar to the rinse cycle.Something in the vinegar breaks down the yucky smell. It seemed to help with mine. Good luck.

Try rewashing with a couple of cups of white vinegar in the wash water as well as soap.

Hot water and bleach will get rid of the mildew smell.

Hi A.! I'm not married, but I had the same problem to happen to me. I know viniger works good for getting stains and odors out. I know Fabuloso is good also. Hope this will help. God and God Bless.

1 / 3