How Do I Get MILDEW Smell Out of Baby Blanket?

My son has a blanket he takes with him everywhere - it is disgusting!! Anyways, he sucks on the corner, so it is wet all the time. It has the worst smell of mildew. It doesn't seem sanitary for him to be sucking on mildew... yuck! What can I wash it with to get out that smell?? Thanks!!

I've found that putting 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle gets smells out! If it doesn't take out the odor the first time, I mix the vinegar (a full cup to about 1/2 to 1 gallon of water-not an exact science) with water and soak it over night. Best part is it is safe! You don't have to worry about him sucking on chemical residue. Good luck!

I read once in Hints by Helouise if you leave clothes in the washer to use ammonia. And it works! Add 1 cup of ammonia to the water before adding or put it in the final rinse, I just put it in the fabric softener part of the washer. Be sure to never mix with bleach.

repeat washings with vinegar!

To get mildew smell out of washcloths I use bleach, but I do not think that is safe for a baby blanket. I would try to add 1-2 cups of vinegar to the wash load or even to the rinse, or if that doesn't work I have also used Odoban, from Sam's Club.

I add a 1/2 cup of arm and hammer baking soda to a load of stinky laundry, then hang out in the sun to dry. It hasn't failed me yet!!

The sun is your best friend. Wash it in as hot water as it will hold up to and add vinegar AND baking soda. Let it dry in the sun. To soften it up, after it dries, pop it in the dryer for a few minutes.

Blessings!

I add vinegar to our laundry that smells iffy....it seems to work.

Vinegar works to get the smell out of just about anything (I use it to de-funk cloth diapers), and is also a natural fabric softener. Baking soda is a whitener. If you have a side-loading washing machine, just pour the vinegar into the fabric softener compartment and it'll get added at the right time, otherwise dump it into the rinse cycle of your top-loading washer.

1 / 3