Just Found Out I Am Pregnant and Have Questions

I just took a pregnancy test and it came out positive. I have a hair appointment tonight to get my hair highlited. Has anyone heard whether it is ok to still have my hair highlited or not? Also, in 2.5 weeks I have an appointment to get a cavaity filled and then have an implant done. I had heard that you should not have dental work done when pregant, but wasn't sure if having a tooth filled was ok. I will probably put off the impant until after I have the baby anyway. Just a little concerned since I ahd a miscarriage the last pregancy and don't want to do anything that could harm the baby.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the hair highlighting, I never have mine done, but I know that my doctor said dental work was okay, as long as x-rays weren't involved. They just told me to wait to have a filling until after the first trimester when I was feeling better, why add to the discomfort if the tooth wasn't bothering me. Good luck!!

Congratulations!

My OB told me to wait until 14 weeks to dye my hair, that it's not just the fumes, but what gets into your blood stream. You are putting chemicals straight onto your scalp! I've dyed my hair for 10 years so used the time I was pregnant to give it a rest and grow it out.

As for the dentist, I kept reading to avoid dental procedures while pregnant. In talking with a hygenist I met, she said they actually like pregnant women to see them for cleanings and check ups because pregnancy can wreak havoc on teeth-they get weaker and start having problems. I just had my first cavity. But to get a cavity filled, you get novicaine, so I'd check with your OB first. The first trimester is CRUCIAL for development.

I'd recommend giving your OB/GYN's office a call and ask a nurse there or your doctor. I think some hair dyes can contain harmful chemicals or lead compounds.
Here's a link with some advice about dental work during pregnancy:
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/dentalwo...

You can dye your hair anytime during your pregnancy. It's not the fume slike I thought when I was pregnant. It's that your hair changes. It will either get really full or really thin. Some women it falls out. As far as dying it goes: the chemicals can react differently than you're used to. The color that you always use can come out completely different.
Just let your dentist know that you are pregnant. They will inform you on what you can and can't do.
Conrats!!!!

You should wait to save your hair hi-lighted until the 3rd trimester. As far as the dental work, it should be ok, just make sure they know you are pregnant and wear a lead vest if xrays r needed. Personally I would wait on the implant. Good luck and Congrats

G.

Hi K.!
Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

I also had the same question when I was pregnant and asked about it. I guess it used to be unsafe to have your hair colored or highlighted because of what they used in the color. However, over the years, they have changed what they use in it and it is now safe to have it done during pregnancy.

Also, on the dental work. . .the main concern is that you don't have x-rays done. Everything else should be fine. I had some work done when I was pregnant with my first. No complications!

Hi K.-
CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy!!! Lots of luck!!!

I too was concerned about going to the dentist. I was in the middle of the root canal process when I found out I was pregnant. I waited a few months before I went back to have it finished. I had the same fears. My OB had to send a letter to my dentist saying that it was ok. Check with your OB. As far as the highlighting, my OB said NO. He said that ammonia in the coloring could hurt the baby. But I know some women who still do. I just laughed everytime I looked at my roots.

Good luck to you and hope this can help!

Hi! YES, you can high lite your hair!! As for dental, I am not so sure.

1 / 3