Is a Dental X Ray Ok When Your Pregnant?

Ok girls I am 13 weeks pregnant and want to know from your experiance if you have had an dental xray done while being pregnant?

Ok well I have decided if the chance is to come up not to do the x ray. Thanks very much and have a blessed day girls

Usually the dentist does not recommend it when you are pregnant. I think, unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. I was having my yearly teeth cleaning when I was pregnant and they skipped over the xrays because I was pregnant. It's a serious liability on their part. Hope that helps a bit.

I had to have an xray and a root canal while pregnant. I believe the dentist covered me double as well. She did not want to do the xray but I was in PAIN. Maybe you could wait if it is a routine xray, but if you are in any pain then you have to get it done!

Unless it is totally necessary for an urgent reason, I would avoid any x-rays while pregnant. I'm sure they would shield the baby, but especially at 13 weeks, it is best to avoid any radiation as there is some risk of harm to the baby.

I had to have several dental procedures while I was pregnant, including a root canal. They prefer that you do it in the second trimester, and my dentist put about 3 extra lead covers over my stomach.

I can only say that my dentist never took any x-rays while I was pregnant. In fact, they routinely ask if there's any chance I could be pregnant. At one point, my husband and I were trying for #2 and, because we were trying and there was a possibility, they didn't take the x-rays. After my little guy was finally born, they took x-rays on my next visit. Maybe they were being overly cautious, but I guess I don't mind that! I wouldn't do it unless necessary and I'd definitely check with your OB first to be sure.

I have gotten X-Rays while i was pregnant but i make sure I'm covered. I believe they actually covered me double when i was in the big machine but this last time i was only covered like normal becuase it was a small hand held machine. Good luck.

My OBGYN told me it was fine to have an x-ray but she said that very few Dentists will one during pregnancy. Sure enough my Dentist said that since he didn't see any pressing issues he preferred to wait but he agreed it was considered safe if needed.

To be cautious, if it isn't absolutely necessary, don't do it. I had a friend who was x-rayed on another part of her body who had a baby w/ abnormalities.

No. I went to the dentist twice during my pregnancy and didn't get the xray. As soon as I told the dentist I was pregnant he knew he couldn't do it.

I had a cavity filled in January and had a baby in March (2007). It worried me, but they said in the first trimester you are okay. So i think you should be okay, but talk to your OB first and see what he/she says.

Hi, J., Dental X-Rays give very minimal exposure to radiation. It is probably okay, but why take any chances? I am a dental hygienist, and here is the rule of thumb we use in our office. Routine X-Rays are delayed until after the pregnancy. If you are experiencing a problem, i.e. pain, etc., then the dentist very well may need an X-Ray for a definitive diagnosis. Hope this helps. Good luck! N.

I wouldn't recommend that you get the xray. Even though your body is covered, the rays still get into your system. If it isn't a must, protect your child first. Especially if you can hold off on any procedures that aren't emergencies.

Glad to hear about the new arrival!
Many dentists and OB's don't recommend any dental procedures, other that cleaning when you're prgenat. I never had work done while pregnant, but it is up to you. Only you know your situation, and if your dentist says that it can't wait, and has workied with pregnant women before, get whatever you need done.

No, they should not do one on you...let your dentist know that you are pregnant.

I would check with your OB, most say it's fine after the 2nd trimester, as long as they cover your belly with the lead apron (which most places do anyway, even when you're not pregnant. Congrats!!

no...you are not supposed to have dental xrays while pregnant.