Dental Work While Pregnant

I just found out that I'm pregnant with our second child, I'm guessing about four weeks. I have a tooth that really hurts and driving me crazy. I'm planning on seeing my dentist on Wednesday (closed for the holiday) and hoping it is just a cavity. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had dental work this early in their pregnancy? I know it is ideal to wait until the second trimester but there is no way I can wait that long. Is there something they can give me while they are working on my tooth that will not harm the baby? I don't enjoy going to the dentist in the first place and now am worried about the baby too.

I had to have a root canal while I was pregnant in my first trimester. The pain was unbearable and something needed to be done. Both my dentist and my obgyn agreed that more damage could be done to the baby through an untreated infection than through the medications they gave me and also the dental work that had to be done. I am now the happy mother of a very healthy 9 month old!!!!!!!!

See your dentist. I had work done early in my pregnancy. Just let your dentist know you are pregnant. They know the precautions to take. The decaying tooth is much more dangerous to your baby than anything the dentist can do. Good luck!
A. - mom of super-healthy Milo 5 1/2 months

I'm a little late in responding, but I had to have a root canal when I was pregnant with my twins. I was in my second tremester and in an unbelievable amount of pain. And like everyone else is saying, risk of an infection is much more harming to the baby than the dental work...at least that's what I was told. They had to do x-rays, but took all the precautions they needed to for the babies. I had a great dentist (too bad he's in CA) So good luck and hopefully you can get rid of your toothache. =)

Don't worry if it's a cavity, your dentist should be able to take care of it without any kind of numbing medication. I know it sounds crazy, but I've had two or three fillings put in without medication and it didn't hurt. It amazed me that it didn't! I would think it best to take care of it now before it gets so bad you can't stand it because you can't take pain killers when you're pregnant.

Go to the dentist! He/She won't do anything to harm the baby and besides, your health is very important. Did you know that your teeth have a large impact on that! It controls everthing from moods from colds to flu. Honest.

Obviously, I'm going to agree with everyone else that your dentist would be the best judge of things. I had a cavity when I was expecting my second, but my dentist chose to not fill it until after the baby was born, "just to be safe" but told me if it became painful, he would fill it. However, I was told that I could not have the nitrous-oxide (laughing gas) because that goes directly to the baby.

I hope they can figure out something that will work for you! Tooth pain is no fun!

Make sure u tell them u are pregant..So they can cover your u up before X-rays I had my teeth pulled was I was pregant all my teeth expect bottom teeth

Hi D.,
I would just wait for your dentist appointment. He or she will know what you can and can't do. I went for cleanings while pregnant I just didn't get any x-rays.
Chris

1 / 3