Root Canal During Pregnancy, Ok or Not?

I am 9 wks pregnant with my 2nd child and have just found out that I need a root canal. OUCH!!! Not good news right about now. My question is has anyone had to have major dental work which would cause for local anesthesia (for numbing) during their pregnancy? The specialist told me should did not want to perform the procedure until my 2nd trimester, and told me that it is safe. But I don't know how I feel about having this procedure done while pregnant, but then again I am not sure how much longer I can take this pain! Also, is ambesol/oragel okay to take until I have the procedure done? I will be calling my OB-GYN's office tomorrow and asking these questions but I still wanted to get some feed back from what others have heard.

Ask for a referral to an endodontic specialist. Some have the capability to just numb that specific tooth to do the root canal. It is more expensive, but worth it. I had to have one when I was pregnant with my youngest (now 4). The anesthesia does not go systemic. Research it online. If you are in the Virginia Beach let me know and i'll send you the name of the guy I went too. Good luck!

Supposedly it's fine after the first trimester, but they prefer not to do it during the third because of the discomfort and strain on your vascular system from lying on your back for so long under the weight of your uterus. So, the second trimester seems like it would be the best time. It's a matter of risks vs. benefits and I don't think the risks are significant enough to outweigh the benefit.

Also, until you can have it done, try these things for pain relief, they helped my hubs enormously when he needed a root canal.

1. Sliced garlic, held between the cheek and the tooth in question. Yes, your breath won't be very pleasant, but you wouldn't believe the pain relief this will give you.
2. OregaDENT clove oil (found in most natural food/herb stores.) Ask your doctor about using this one during pregnancy, since I have no idea if it's considered ok. It's an antiseptic and an analgesic, so it will also help a LOT!

Best of luck!

i used orajel alot during my pregnancy and had no complications.

I had a root canal while 12 weeks pregnant with my first child. This included local anesthesia and x-rays. All were safe to get during pregnancy (according to my high-risk OB/GYN and oral surgeon). Everything turned out well and my tooth felt so much better!

My sister had a root canal during her pregnancy. I don't know at what point she had it but both she and her son are perfectly healthy and normal. I know that's not much help, I just wanted to chime in that there are women who've had it done and are better afterward and the baby is fine.

This is correct. Usually the second trimester is best. Of course, if you end up with an emergency situation with extreme pain, then that's different. Wait til the second, if you can. However, if it blows up on you so to speak, you are better to have it resolved now. The infection in your mouth can go to other areas in your bloodstream. My husband and I are both dental professionals. If you have any questions about it, feel free to contact me.

I had a cavity filled late in my third trimester with my last child. I hate local anesthesia and it worked out fine! Definitely check with your ob though and his/her views on it!

It's tricky because you don't want the infection to spread which could cause problems. I needed a root canal while pregnant but the dentist told me to wait until I delivered, which I did. I wasn't in pain, though. Follow your OB's advice, I would think that during the 2nd or 3rd trimester it would be OK.

Just as a note, I had some new kind of novicane with epinepherine (adrenaline) in it which I reacted very strangely to (racing heart, shakes). Ask your OB to spell out exactly what type of anesthesia is OK.

1 / 3