Infected Finger

I feel really silly asking this but here goes...I have a finger that is infected (possibly from an ingrown nail or a hangnail pulled) I know its infected because it is red and very sore. I have washed it really good and used Hydrogen Peroxide to clean it as well. The problem is, the peroxide only reaches so far...I need to get it to go further. Any suggestions? or any other home remedy suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for those of you that responded. I made an appt for this Thursday with a doctor to look at my finger. Well, I decided that I couldn't wait that long. Last Wed, I went to InstaCare and was given an anti-biotic that I take 4 times a day for a week. Thanks again.

My favorite remedy is to soak the finger in very warm water (as hot as you can stand) and Epsom salts. This will help draw the infection out. Soak it for 20-30 minutes about 3 times a day.

Also, my mother-in-law treated one of my infected fingers with potato peels. She used a potato peeler to get a few peels off of the potato, wrapped my finger in the potatoes, covered it with plastic wrap, and taped it to my finger. I slept with it on and the infection was much better the next day.

I had an infected toe once from getting nicked at the nail salon. It got red and swollen quickly. I soaked it in hot water (as hot as you can stand it) with epsom salt for about 10 to 15 minutes. Then I was able to squeeze out the yucky stuff. It was completely healed in appx 2 to 3 days.

One thing to keep in mind is to not let the infection go too long because it could get in your blood stream. If the epsom salt bath doesn't go it any good then you should probably go to the doctor.

You've been given all great advice. Try to clip the hang nail off, instead of tearing it off. It saves a lot of pain. You can only do so much, and then you will just have to wait a few days and then it will start to heal. My skin always peels off afterward too.

Maybe neosporin or tea tree oil. They have worked for me in the past. You probably need to dig with a needle. Hope it gets better soon!

Soak your finger for ten minutes three times a day in a cup of very warm water with 1/4 cup of epsom salt. That will do the trick. In the future, after every shower you should dry your cuticles completely and push them back with the towel. GL K. K.

When I have an infected nail (finger or toe) I make sure I clip the nail way back which will usually open up the infected area and allow me to clean it with hydrogen peroxide. If it doesn't I usually end up going "digging" for it with a sterilized needle. The whole process is painful, but it gets it healing and I avoid a trip to the doctor.

Epsom salt soaks are the BEST! Good luck!

Try soaking the finger in epson salts and warm water for 20 min twice a day. It helps draw out the infection and it has a soothing effect.

Hot water. The warmest that you can stand will pull the infection to the surface. You have to let it soak for a bit. Maybe even do it several times. It will also help to open up the wound and then the peroxide will be able to penetrate farther. I have used this on people and animals with great results. You can also add some epsom salt to the mix. It will be painful but will get it started draining.

1 / 3