I'm Out of Formula.

Can I give my four month old baby regular milk? What do I do to replace the formula.

no, do not give the baby regular milk. what you need to do is go buy more formula. if you cannot afford it, many food pantries will have formula for infants. also look into applying for WIC. they will supply some of the formula for an infant. baby's stomachs do not handle straight cows milk well. it can make them very sick, and they will not get the nutrients that they need from it.

If you are desperate and need something to feed the baby RIGHT NOW- you can prepare evaporated milk and mix in a little bit of Karo syrup if you have that on hand. I would only do this in an emergency or until you can find formula. Evaporated milk isn't a nutritionally adequate as formula. Regardless of what people say, feeding evaporated milk isn't going to harm the baby if used in an emergency, and is a much better solution than not having anything to feed the baby at all. Generations of people were brought up on evaporated milk and commercial formula did not even start to really be used much until the 1960s.

I mean - I am ok - 36 years old, healthy and happy, brought up from 6 weeks old on cow's milk.
people didn't breast feed as much back then. gave their babies evaporated milk etc

Edit - To the lady who said we can have serious cognitive impairments - well I have an MD, I am a podiatrist, I am not impaired mentally at all.
neither was Einstein, bet he drank cows milk... LOL!!

No! What do you do? Replace the formula! GO to the store. If you can't afford it, go to a food pantry!!! Call your Dr., for a sample. What did you think would happen? Your child will need to eat...

No, you can not. There is nothing that you can give to replace formula. Breastmilk or formula is primary nutrition for *entire* first year of life.

"Infants fed whole cow's milk don't get enough vitamin E, iron, and essential fatty acids. They also get too much protein, sodium, and potassium. These levels may be too high for the infant's system to handle. Also, whole cow's milk protein and fat are more difficult for an infant to digest and absorb." (taken from website below)
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002448.htm

Call your pediatrician's office asap and see if they have samples.

Are you eligible for WIC? If you are financially have trouble buying formula then you need to investigate WIC asap as well.

Beg or borrow money from who ever you have to get your baby the proper nutrition until you can get this straightened out.

As the other ladies said, NO!!!!!!!!! 4 months is waaay too young for cows milk. If he/she were maybe 9 or 10 months I would maybe consider it for a very temporary solution (like one/two feedings) until you got more formula. But she/he's too young right now. There are so many programs to help with that, plus, do you not have any friends of family to help? Its embarrassing, I know, to admit that you cannot afford to feed your baby, but as a mom you need to learn to put your feelings aside and do whats best for your little one.

It is really not recommended that you stop giving your baby formula. The baby does not have the ability to digest the proteins in the milk products yet and really could be harmful to them.

No. Go get more formula! Our pediatrician gives away samples and there are food pantries and women/infant centers or apply for assistance but do NOT give your baby milk or any other milk substitute. Formula or Breastmilk is the the primary source of your baby's nutrition till he or she is 12 months old.

1 / 3