Constipation in 3 Month Old

I am looking for any suggestions to try for my constipated 3 month old son. For the past couple of weeks I have been slowly switching my son from breastmilk to formula. It seems like as long as he was getting at least 1 breastmilk bottle a day he was fine but now he is not having a BM for days at a time. You can tell as the days pass he gets more uncomfortable. I had the same problem with my 2 year old at that age and the only thing that worked for her was giving her BabyLax to make her go. I have spoken to his dr. about it and she told me to try Enfamil Gentlease. He wouldn't even drink any of it to give it a chance to work. He had a very painful BM tonight and it just breaks my heart so I'm just looking for any suggestions that other moms may have. THANKS!

My son is doing much better! I took him for his 4 month check up and the doctor started him on rice cereal and Stage 1 baby food and he is doing great!!! No more problems so far with the contipation! Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions!

Enfamil didn't work for my daughter, either. I would try Similac or Nestle Good Start. My daughter uses Similac, but I've heard really good things about Good Start.

We dealt with this in my daughter we added prune juice to her bottle every day at the guidance of my physician. We bought the apple prune. hope that helps.

So glad things are better.... isn't that the worst feeling...knowing you can't do much to make it better right then!!!

i had a bad problem with my son too when i started him on whole milk. the doctor put him on a prescription liquid that i added to his milk called lactulose. it worked great and now the problem has worked itself out and i dont have to use it anymore. talk to your doctor and see what they say about it.

Try Karo Syrup-Dark...work wonders on my daughter. The Gentlease work good as well.

Good Luck!!

M., I had the same problem with my oldest son, (I was not able to breast feed due to medication from surgery. It turned out that he was "allergic" somewhat to the formula. We put him on a soy based formula like Isomil and it worked. My youngest son however could not drink regular milk and we had to buy a lactose free milk and cheese, thankfully they both grew out of that.

my son was plaqued with constipation and I tried EVERYTHING and nothing truly worked until i used a medicine called "GlycoLax" it is a prescription drug but it is NOT harmful. You can add it straight to food or liquids, as it is a powder. My son is on extra protien and calorie enhancers and it really makes having a "smooth" bm difficult, but using this is great. When he was first givin it it was every day until he had a good east " texture" bm then every other day and now once a week. It is NOT a laxitive but a VERY GENTLE stool softner. Until your little one get regular try using a supposatory. It is gross but anything to help save him pain . Hope this helps.

HI!

My oldest went through that at about that age. The nurse said to put about a tablespoon of dark Karo (corn) syrup in his bottle. Every bottle. It will take about 48 hours but then things will go more smoothly. After he goes that one time (it will be MESSY!) then back down to a teaspoon in every bottle. It worked and it made the formula taste better. Good luck!!

I had both of my sons on enfamil and they stayed having problems with bms and I gave them karo syrup sometimes it worked or in a baby feeder some kind of baby food thats fruit I know ur not suppoed to give a 3 month old babyfood but to me it was better then them hurting all the time and I finaly put them on Carnation dha and ara. Also water and juice helps. Thats what I started my 7 mth old on and she hasnt had a problem. I give her frut every day that helps alot. She was a early and u cant tell know she is a heathly butterball.

1 / 3