I Have Been Getting a Lot of Negative Responces to Our Ideas 4 Baby Names :(

We REALLY like the name Rain & have been trying to incorporate it into our daughters name we tossed around variations of Rainy such as Rainy Sky & Rainy Days and things like that but ppl keep saying very negative things we leaned torwards Aurora Rain & are still recieving bad comments ... I have always got helpfull advice from this site what do you think??????

We think we decided on Aurora Rain Thank you so much for your positive responses

I think Rainy Dayz and Rainy Sky sound like the names of strippers. I think most people are going to find them rather cheesy. But it doesn't matter what most people think (although for the sake of the child you might want to consider the connotations that come along with a name). It matters what you think. If you love the name, then choose it.

Perhaps you could name her Lorraine and call her Rainy for short.

I think Rainy anything sounds like you're naming a Care Bear or a Little Pony. However, I have a dear friend named Rain, I LOVE that name by itself.

Will you forgive another post after so many?

With names, I always would ask: How will this name work not just when she's a cute baby or toddler but when she is....

A teenager subject to a lot of judgements and comments from peers?

A college kid writing her first resumes?

A young professional handing out her first business cards?

A middle-aged professional meeting contacts for the first time, or seeing her full name engraved on her firm's brass door plaque?

A dignified grandmother?

A Nobel Prize recipient, hearing her full name called from the podium as she goes up to receive her prize?

If you think Rain Bo, or Rainy Dayz, works in all those contexts, and she won't mind explaining it (because frankly, she will have to, though if she loves her own name then she won't mind explaining it) then go for what you like. Seriously, do. But just think through whether any name(s) you choose will wear well at all ages and all stages and whether it will have any impact on her being taken seriously later in her life. I'm not saying Rain would be a problem that way--I like it. But I don't think that pairing it with a middle name like Dayz or Bo or Sky would necessarily work at all ages.

If you really like the name "Rain"... then name her Rain.
WHY name her "Rainy"?
That is a negative sounding name and she WILL get teased... and then she will have to explain to EVERYONE why her parents named her "Rainy." Which is an Adjective. She is not 'rainy' for example.

It may sound cute, to you,... but a person actually being named "Rainy" to me, IS guaranteeing that your child WILL be teased.
She WILL be teased.
Do you really... want her to be teased, all her life? Just because she is named "Rainy..."?

I know a girl named "Rain." She is a great/smart/mature girl. 10 years old. She matches her name.

I would NOT use the "adjective" form of rain, to name a child. Not "Rainy."

I frankly think, naming a child "Rainy Dayz" or "Rainy Sky"... is really really... setting up your child to be teased and ostracized. And I don't think, a parent would want their child teased, nor do it to them, on purpose.

Would you want to be named, YOURSELF- Rainy Dayz or Rainy Sky? Or Humid Sun or Sunny Dayz or Stormy Cloudz or Frozen Snow or Frosty Blizzard or Thundery Clouds or Snowy Sleet?
C'mon.. its really a not good name for a kid.

And imagine your child in college or having to get a job....?
Can you imagine, what connotations that sets your child up for... per getting respect anywhere?

Sorry but Rainy Dayz and Rainy Sky sound like stripper names. Aurora Rain would be good for a weather girl.

Oh gosh,
PERSONALLY, I am a big fan of understated/layered names.

For example, instead of "Defender" as the first name, I'd choose Alexander (defender of the people). Instead of "Tree", maybe Aila (oak). Instead of Rainy Dayz, I might look at a more understated name. (What I am trying to say. Am I trying to say that she is a "blessing from above"? Am I alluding to the comfort we find on a rainy day?)

I prefer Rainn or Rayne to Rain.

*I* would stay away from Dayz (for two reasons, one the spelling reminds me of a text message, secondly the word is a lot like Daze, for which *I* have negative connotations.)

Aurora is a gorgeous word (and term). It might be tricky to say, for a small child.

*FOR ME* Aurora Rain is beautiful, but doesn't sound like a person's name, so much as a product name (like a body wash).

OK only because you asked...as others have said, Rainy Sky and Rainy Dayz and any other variation on Rainy are just plain awful. Really - people will think that you were high when you named her. Really.

Rain in and of itself is a lovely name...you could go with Raina, Raine, Rayna etc. but please not Rainy.

Aurora Rain sounds pretty but you will have then named your child after two things that sort of deal with weather (Aurora means "dawn" and then there are the Northern Lights, aurora borealis). That's not a bad thing, but something to be aware of and make sure you like the idea of.

I like Aurora Rain... very pretty... I think Rainy Sky and Rainy Dayz will be names that will probably be teased (honest opinion- not meant to offend). Rainy Sky sounds very... um "hippy-ish", and I would be worried she might not be taken seriously with a name like that...

I do like the name "Rain"- you could also spell it "Rayne" or "Raine" if you wanted...

You could also use names that mean rain or something similar like these:

Ara ... "Brings rain." ...
Jorah ... "First rain or autumn rain." ... at the end of the drought season with the return of the rain ...
Liana ... Name of a vine common to tropical rain forests ...
Noelani ... Noe (noh-AY) means "mist, misty rain".
Raina ... Modern use also refers to rain from the sky.
Rima ... Rima was an elusive maiden of the South American rain forest who spoke the language of animals and birds.
Tulia ... which refers to a heavy rain or downpour ...
Acquanetta ... "Water." ... which is Latin for "water" ... [3]
Brenna ... "Little drop of water; raven or black-haired." ... [9]
Brooke ... "Water, small stream." ... [8]
Clytie ... Mythology: a water nymph in love with Apollo ...
Lake ... Geography name for an inland body of water. [2]
Lana ... (Hawaiian) "afloat; calm as still waters" ... [4]
Lynn ... possibly of Old English and Gaelic origin, meaning "lake", "waterfall" or "pool", and probably would have been given to a family living near such a body of water.
Naida ... "Water nymph."
Nebraska ... "Flat water." ...
Nereida ... Nerida is an Australian aboriginal name for water lily or blossom
Nixie ... "Water sprite." ...
Ondine ... Mythology: Undine is the spirit of the waters ...
Talise ... "Lovely water."
Tallulah ... "Leaping water." Related to the Choctaw word for water, "oka" ...
Undine ... Mythology: name of the spirit of the waters. Literary ...
Yara ... "Water lady; small butterfly." ...
Zarya ... Mythology: Zarya is a water priestess and protector of warriors.

all very interesting names... of course if you LOVE rain, don't change it just to apease people. I think you will be safe with a name like Rain, if you make it's "pair" name something either more "common" or something that is less of a "word" name. I think aurora is a great alternative to day or dayz.

Or do a translation of the word Rain... like
Ame (japanese)
Sade (finnish)

Or a similar word like "water"
Mizu (japanese)

Do what feels best to you and your family. Take heed of people's advice, but don't let them keep you from picking a name that you truly adore! Good Luck!

-M.

What does it matter what other people think?

I would suggest you look at her life in 20 years - let's say she's an executive - do you really think that Rainy Sky is going to sound professional? My personal opinion NO.

I also firmly believe that as nasty as kids can be - the playground and school will be nothing but torment for her as kids can just be plain mean.

But it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks - ONLY what you and your husband decide....

1 / 3