Do You Have Baby-naming Remorse?

I saw an article about this on Yahoo today. I thought it would be a fun question to pose here. I do have a bit of regret over my youngest's name. His name is Brendan, and I can't tell you how many people have called him Brandon or asked me if his name is Brandon. While Brandon is a lovely name, Brendan is more common these days so it's surprising to me that people make this mistake. At my kids' school, I know of at least 5 boys named Brendan, and I only know of one Brandon. So, does anyone else wish they would've named their child something else???

It's been so much fun reading all of your responses! Thanks to those of you who said you like my son's name. I like it too. I can't imagine him being anything other than Brendan. I just wish people would stop calling him Brandon! As for my other kids, I LOVE their names and have no regrets. My daughter's name, Annalise is fairly unique. I've heard of a few younger girls being named that recently, but there is nobody else in the entire school with her name. My middle child is Joshua. It's very popular, and his best friend who happens to be in the same class has the same name. I still love the name and can't imagine him with a different name.

No, we had a boy and there was only one name I really liked, and liked since I was a little girl. Nicholas. Now I am pregnant with a girl and I think we have decided on Madelynn, because every name I pick my husband says it sounds like an old ladies name (sophia, nora, charlotte) finally I told him that when he squeezes a human being out of his body he can name it.

well, & then we have my younger son who came home from KG & told me I didn't know how to spell his name....it ends in "y", but pronounced with a long "e". What a brat!

Just with the middle name of my daughter. We wanted a C name and decided on Catherine, which goes well with her first name. But now I wish I had chosen Claire, which is my mother's middle name. I think they both would have liked the connection. Oh well.

Not so much as regret as a lil' sadness maybe? Only on my youngest boy...I LOVE LOVE his name we gave him, Wyatt (even tho most people don't like it)...it's just that hubby didn't want my first choice, which was Aloe...funny thing is due to our son's temperament and attitude hubby and I now always joke that he is most definetly a 'Wylie-Wyatt'

*Stupid auto correct changed Wylie to Aloe??

I love all of my girls names. They're all classic even if they're not all traditional with long, full histories behind them.

Your son has a really nice name. I wouldn't have regret over it. Especially since you didn't name in the -ayden trend. You know... everyone loves the name Aidan but wants to be yooneek so they tack on any combination of letters in front of it that they can. Jaydin, Braaaaaaydon (like a donkey), Shaydon, Sladon, Raidyn, Kaidin, Blayden, Treyden, blah blah BLAH GAG.

:-)

No, I still love our daughter's name. It's a classic, classy, traditionally-spelled name from an older time and means "little bird." She IS my little birdie!

No, not at all. I like unique names, but not made-up or misspelled names. I found a name that is more common in England/Wales (her father's heritage) but uncommon here and added my late mother's name for her middle name. I've gotten many compliments on her name, and there will likely never be two in the same classroom.

Her name is Raine Ruthanne. Raine means "queen" and is the English/Welsh/some sources say French version of Raina. The only issue we've had is people see it as "Rainey" when it is "Rain". She likes that she has the same initials as her big (17 years older) sister. That was not planned, but we liked it too. Her sister's name is Rhiannon Rose.

Yes, we went really unique and did that for many reasons but I sort of regret it. :(

My son's name is Gamble Kevin and my daughter's name is Random Jolie.

No I love my boys' names. The younger two are really common but that's OK. I did have other names that I preferred for them but my husband didn't like them so these weren't my first choice but I'm still happy with them.

I've got a Christian Michael (which people sometimes pronounce "Kristin" which cracks me up - I just think "how dumb are you?" but don't say anything), Jacob Marshall (I wanted Caleb instead of Jacob) and a Zachary Stephen (I wanted Dylan Patrick). I like the juxtaposition of a very New Testament name (he has my maiden name, which is Irish) and the other very Hebrew names with their/our Jewish last name. You can just look at the names and know we're an interfaith marriage.

My SD also has a lovely name but out of privacy I won't mention it here.

I do. My poor little girl. I named her Jadyn. There are way too many Jadyns, boys and girls. I never wanted to do the Hannah/Michelle thing of naming my child and having 4 classmates with the same name. Woops. I didn't realize how popular that name was.
We call her JJ and that fits. But if I could rename her, it would be Landry. I don't know why I didn't think of it back then. I'm such a Cowboy fan and think the stadium should be named after Coach Landry. And she's sooooo bossy I call her coach as a nickname. She would be a perfect Landry.

SInce we're sharing - I named her Jadyn Elizabeth.
I also have a Jessie Jordan - girl
and Isaiah Ray - Boy

1 / 3