I Feel Pregnant but the Tests Keep Coming Back Negative

I was due for my period on April 10th, so I am now 10 days late. I have ALL of the pregnancy symptoms--extreme exhaustion, headaches, food aversions, sensitivity to smells, back ache, very sore nipples that are painful even to the slightest touch, bloating, as so on.

I have taken at least 5 hpt's and they have all come back negative. I have been pregnant once before, and thought I might be, so around 3 weeks late I took 2 hpt's and they both came back negative, so I dismissed it. I found out I was pregnant at my gynos when I was about to have a procedure done for an infection, and they did a pregnancy test to make sure I wasnt prego. Surprise, surprise, I was 6 weeks along! So, that is to say that I might be one of those unlucky women who dont get positive results until much later, due to low hormones. I know I should probably go see my dr for a blood test, but Im so nervous about the results. My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage, and my boyfriend at the time (not a very nice guy come to find out) blamed me and said it was all my fault. Needless to say, very traumatic. That was several years ago and I am now engaged to an amazing man, and I know for a fact that he would be happy if I was pregnant, but the timing isnt all that great, as well, for one, we aren’t married and Im afraid of what my family will think, and also because Im hoping to go to nursing school in the fall.
I guess Im just looking for some feedback and encouragement. If I am pregnant, when should I test again? And why is it that some women’s hormone levels are so low? I don’t understand that. Anyone have any thoughts on my situation or had similar experiences?
Thank you!!

4/27/10 I got my blood test results back and they were negative. Maybe my mind was just playing tricks on me, who knows. My next period should arrive around May 8th, so I guess if I miss that one, too, ill make an appointment with my gyno to find out what's wrong with me.

Thanks for all the input everyone! There is a Planned Parenthood close to where I work, so I stopped by there earlier and had them draw blood for a quanitative hcg test. Hopefully that will give me the answer Im looking for! They said results would come back in 5-7 days, so its back to the waiting game for now.

Sounds like pregnancy to me. I hate to ask, but how old are you? I went into menopause very early (mid to early 30's) and had the same symptoms. I took several HPTest - all came back negative - I was heart broken when I found out I was in the first stages of menopause. I really hope you get good news. Sincerely, J

I have to disagree with Michelle D who said that over the counter pregnancy tests were not as effective and here's why.

When I found out I was pregnant with my son, I took a home pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy (had cramps like when I had endometriosis and thought that's why I was cramping) and the Walgreen's store brand test came back positive. I took 2 more from 2 different stores and they all came back positive. Went to my Dr's office and took 2 there...and BOTH OF THEM were negative. It took a blood test to confirm I was pregnant and even then my HGC level was like 45. So yeah, store tests are JUST as effective as the one's in the Dr's office.

Now, if you are having pregnancy symptoms, I'd look at whether or not you have a UTI. I had the same pregnancy symptoms, took 3 tests that came out negative and found out through the Dr that it was a UTI. So that may be it.

(My symptoms included lower abdominal discimfort or cramping, nausea, back cramping on occassion, etc but NO BURNING during urination)

Good luck to you. I am sending good thoughts your way!

Over the counter pregnancy test are not as effective as the one's that Dr's use. If you are worried you can call the Dallas Pregnancy Resource Center at ###-###-#### and make an appt to get a pregnancy test. There is no charge. Everyone's body is a little different and reacts different to situations as well. They are closed on Friday's, but they might be able to fit you in tomorrow.

As far as why you don't get a positive early on I am not sure some women just don't seem to get it early unless the blood is tested.

As far as being pregnant while engaged and not married. It is one of the best things that ever happened to my now hubby and I. We wed just four months after our first was born. We have now been together for over 5 years. Yes family was in a way disappointed but the blessing of a child means so much more. And we couldn't have had a more beautiful flower girl in our wedding!! :)

As far as school goes...go for it! having a baby doesn't mean you have to stop everything!!

I hope you can find out soon to ease your worries!

If you usually don't test postitive on a HPT, then your hormone levels are probably low, which is what probably why you had a misacarraige. I'd have a blood test at the Dr., tell him your previous experinece and see if you need to be on progesterone in order to sustain the pregnancy. Otherwise, you may in the same boat you were before. If you are pregnant, timing will have to be worked out. You may have to sacrifice some things in order to go to nursing school, but it can be done. It's hard, but that is what sacrifice means! Hang in there.

At this point, I'd recommend going to the OB/GYN and getting a blood test. The urine-based tests they use aren't any different than what you'd use at home, and they're obviously not picking-up the HCG levels if you are pregnant.

My sister had 6 negative tests before she finally had a positive confirmation of pregnancy. Her daughter is almost 14 years old.

Good luck. I hope you get the answer you're wanting.

I have know a few people that the hpt just don't work. You may just have to go to the doctors & have them run the test... theirs is better then the hpt. Plus, since you have miscarried in the past - the ealier you start getting care the better for you & the baby. They will be able to help you through w/ info on stuff that might help you with your past.

Sometimes having a baby when "it's not the greatest of times" actually works out to be the best time! I found out I was expecting w/ my 6 yr old when we were waiting for all the paperwork to clear on our home purchase. We still didn't know if we had the house, was living w/ my ex-stepdad & things there was really bad (he had started using hard core drugs & hanging out w/ crack-hores). So, it was scary not knowing if we got our house & way out or if we would be stuck in the situation w/ a baby on the way. We did get the house & our little red headed girl has been a huge blessing in our lives along w/ her 2 younger brothers.

As to the family - even if they have an issue with it, in time they will love the baby! Even if are upest about it to begin with... my mom wasn't happy to hear that I'm expecting again. But you know what - they don't pay my bills so they don't have a say in my hubby & I's chooses. As for school... moms are there all the time... I've even been to school as a mom and I'm due on July 6th and looking at going to school in Sept. for medical billing. Yes, it can be hard, but the benifits are worth it!

I understand the fear you have because of your past, but if you have a great guy now - he will be there for you no matter what! Embrase your future w/ him & possibly the baby you have created out of your love.

Good luck no matter what!!

hi i have 5 kids so i should know if im am i feel pregnant but the test keep coming back negative what can i do

1 / 3