How to Stop a Nosebleed

My 7 year old gets nosebleeds every now and then and a few days ago she had a really bad one and I'm wondering what's the best way to get them to stop. She usually just has them in the winter when the air is so dry but she's had 2 this week. Should I be worried? What really causes your nose to bleed?

Okay, I read all the responses and didn't see this one. It is one of those old home remedies and I used to laugh at it, but it does seem to work for me. Someone told me to drop a pair of blunt scissors or a set of metal keys down my back and let them slide all the way down to the waist (presumably, any metal utensil would work). Anyway, I always thought it sounded goofy, but I had a bloody nose one day that would stop and then start again. I finally picked up my key ring that has a bunch of keys on it and dropped them inside the collar on my neck and let them slide down my back. My nosebleed stopped!!! I was shocked. I have had lots of people tell me this. I have no idea why, but it seems to work. At least it is worth a try.

I just wanted to put my two cents in here. My daughter suffers from nose bleeds especially this time of year. Her doctor said it is her allergies and prescribed claritin. If she takes them regularly the nose bleeds do not happen. I use the walmart brand and it works the same as claritin. Also the product "little noses" will keep her nostrils from drying out.

If she can stand it, put a littel neosporin in her nose when its dry like that . not only will it help prevent nose bleeds but will also help prevent germs getting to the mucus membranes in the nose and makeing you sick.

A. J

Hi K.. My 8 y/o son gets SEVERE nosebleeds, the kind that go on forever (once he required hospitalization and almost needed a transfusion). We had an ENT come in and he packed his nose with some sort of medicated plug. Nobody seems to be able to tell me why he gets them, they've tested his blood and can't seem to find any problems.

Anyway... what we do is pinch his nose (like you're saying PU, what stinks?) and keep it pinched for about 10 minutes. If that doesn't work, I spray AFRIN nose spray up the affected nostril. A doctor told me that the decongestent medication in it helped shrink the blood vessels.

Finally, if all the above fails (this is gross and TMI- be warned). If the blood starts looking darker (not bright red) there is usually a big clot up there (not fresh, bright blood but older darker blood). I have him blow his nose and it gets the clot out. Then I have him pinch again and it usually stops.

When all else fails, we drive to the Emergency Room (his nosebleeds never happen during normal business hours). By the time we've waited in the waiting room and finally see a doctor, the bleeding has stopped (seriously, this has happend 4 or 5 times). Then I feel like an idiot, but at least the nosebleed has stopped. :)

Have hope -- every doctor that we've seen has said the same thing -- "He'll grow out of it"

Here's a very simple & easy way to stop nose bleeds. Simply push your tongue in between the upper lip & gums/teeth under the nose. The pressure will cut off circulation until it stops. Sometimes it a takes a few minutes, very easy & it works!!

My son goes through this regularly. Alot of people recommended using Vaseline, but I would avoid that product. It is a good idea to check into a product at Whole Foods, Sprouts, or another place like this. They all have knowledgable workers in the department, that can lead you to the right product. My other advice is the same as the others that wrote in...humidifier, lean forward, etc... While your son is young, and doesn't know what they are, you can use a tampon as a noseplug...

K.!
This is the BEST way ever!!!
1 tsp JELLO crystals in 1/2 cup WARM water. Stir them until they're melted and have her sip it.
The nosebleed will STOP.
We used to send a Jello Box to the school nurse for our son since he had frequent nosebleeds too.
Yummy and Fast.
Best Wishes!

Nosebleeds could be a sign that she's anemic (sp?). My son seems to get them more than your average kid too though and he's fine. To stop them (I'm assuming you mean when she has one, not how to stop her from getting them) you just have her lean forward a bit and squeeze the bridge of her nose. This will apply pressure and allow the vessles to clot. Once it stops, don't blow the nose b/c it may cause the clotted blood to come out.

If she gets them when the weather is dry, you can try having her use saline spray to keep the passageway moist.

Hi K.. My 5 year old daughter gets them all the time when the air is dry. I was very worried. My husband's mom gave her this stuff called AYR, which is just vaseline like stuff on pre-moistened applicators that you put in the nostril. I really thought it was silly, but the next day there was no nosebleed and she didn't have them for the rest of the summer. I was shocked. I think they have them at Walgreen's.

It sounds too good to be true, I know, but it worked for us.

Good Luck.

A. J

K.,

I had this when I was a kid. Actually, mine got really bad when I was in college. Mine happened to be that a vein in my nose is very close to the skin and when the air is dry the skin cracks and opens up the vein thus the nose bleed. The doctors said that they could cauterize the area and stop the nose bleeds.

I opted to boil water to put moisture back in the atmosphere at home and it helped. I still get them from time to time, but not much. I learned that the best thing is to lean forward and pinch my nose with Kleenexes until it stops bleeding. Some say to lean back, but then the blood just goes down the throat (nasty tasting). Leaning forward it flows to the nose and starts to coagulate more quickly.

Hope this helps!

D. T

1 / 3