Nose Bleeds in 5 Year Old Getting Worriesome

I have a 5 year old girl that has nose bleeds. She gets them year round, more frequently when the weather changes from hot to cold and vice versa. She has allergies as well but otherwise is an extrememly healthy little girl.
I have spoken to two pediatricians and told her about her nose bleeds, and both have said nothing about it, siting it as something that happens to some children. My husband and his brother also had frequent nose bleeds growing up, and they eventually grew out of it. So generally, I am not concerned, and realize this is something that she will outgrow.
However, this past week we have been dealing with a lot of congestion, along with the weather change. And yesterday, my daugther had 3 really nasty nose bleeds that took quite some time to get stopped and clotted.
I realize that she has been wiping her nose a lot, which can cause irritation (much like a scab), but I just got quite concerned by 3 nose bleeds in one day. We keep vaseline and/or neosporin up there to keep it nice and protected as well. So far today, no nose bleeds...but I just wanted to ask if anyone else has had a child (or themselves) with this type of experience? Does this sound like a serious medical concern at this point to anyone else?
Any advice is appreciated!!

Thank to everyone for the wonderful advice and support. We have not had a nose bleed since the day that I posted it; although I know it will come again, we just have to continue with preventative measures. I have kept a humidifier in her room consistently as well as her nostrils coated with vaseline. I worried about saline nasal spray because I know from personal experience sometimes it can actually cause a drying effect, but I am going to try occasional use to help.
I will contact her pediatrician and see if there's any other options/paths to take.
If nothing else, it is comforting to know that I'm not the only mother who's had to deal with this. And it's great to learn some helpful advice on remaining calm so that she, too can remain calm if this ever happens when she is at school.
Thanks so much, really, everyone. Great stuff.

Nosebleeds can indicate weak capillaries due to a deficiency of Vitamin C. You might up her Vitamin C intake.

I grew up in upstate New York, where the weather is pretty dry. I had ear infections and nose bleeds constantly. Try using a humidifier in her bedroom at night.... maybe place another one in the house somewhere for daytime use as well. Maybe some homeopathic ear drops, too could help.

i had trouble with nose bleeds after the birth of my 1st child. i would get one almost every day, and eventually woke up in the middle of the night with one. this one sent me the er because it waws so severe. the er doc told me to try afrin nasal spray. he said the blood vessels in my nasal passsages were swollen and inflamed and the steroids in the afrin would help shrink them. but i also had to resisit the urge to rub or blow my nose for several days to keep from dislaodging the clot. he said worst case, i'd have to go back and see an ent doc and possibly have my nasal blood vessels cauterized to seal them off. luckily the afrin worked and it didn't come to that. i don't know the aGE LIMIT ON AFRIN, BUT YOU MIGHT ASK HER PED OR TRY JUST REGUALR saline spray just to keep her nasal passages moist and put a humidifier or vaporizer in her room to keep the air moist too.

I had the same problem when my son was 3. It was constant nosebleeds, some up to 4-5 a day. I took him to an ENT because the pediatrician kept saying he would grow out of it but it was very upsetting to my son and us. The ENT after examing him said that he had veins on the inside of his nose that were not properly covered by the inside lining of the nose. It was too thin. We agreed to have them cauterized and since have had only 2 nose bleeds. Both of those were the result of something hitting him in the nose (football) and he bumped it into his sisters head. The procedure was done in December so almost a year ago. It was a simple same day out patient surgery. I would check with an ENT as that is their primary focus. Good Luck.

Don't know if this helps or not but I did the same thing when I was a little girl. I could barely play with other kids because my nose would start bleeding for no reason.... ruining my fun. Anyway, they said that I had allergies and a small capillary close to the surface right inside my nose.
They said that it would get better as I got older. Something about the skin would toughen and thicken. Well they were right. I never get a nose bleed anymore and haven't since high school. Sounds crazy but...........
Hope this helps. All I did about it as just put up with it and deal with it for about 16 to 17 yrs.

I had this same problem when I was a little kid. I remember having nosebleeds all the time, and apparently I got the same diagnosis that a lot of people here have described... unusually thin membranes inside my nose. I'm told that I had the cauterization done at some point (yikes!), but I don't remember it. (Probably blocked out the memory!) What I do remember are lots and lots of nosebleeds throughout my childhood. It became no big deal to me, and I knew just how to handle it even at a very young age. If I got one at school, for instance, I'd just go get a wet paper towel and sit with my head tilted back until it stopped... didn't even have to disrupt class over it all. One negative thing that I do remember was my stepmom constantly accusing me of picking my nose whenever I had a nosebleed. I know a lot of kids do pick their nose, but as a kid with frequent nosebleeds, I think I got the "don't do it" message pretty quickly because I didn't want nosebleeds. It was very upsetting to me when my stepmom refused to believe that I hadn't been picking my nose. Looking back on it now, I realize that I also resented the fact that she was implying that the nosebleeds were MY FAULT. At the time, I don't think I could pin down the feeling so specifically... just knew I hated it when she falsely accused me, and it felt unfair. So my point is, please be sure not to do this with your daughter. Just make sure she knows how important it is that she not pick her nose, and leave it at that.

I think the nosebleeds are probably just something that will be a little annoyance in your daughter's life, and nothing more. My nosebleeds did taper off some as I grew older, though I do still get them occasionally, especially in the winter when the air indoors is dry from heating. (I just use the humidifier when my nose starts to feel dry, and that helps a lot.) If the doctors say there's nothing to worry about, try not to worry. I hope it's helpful to know that this condition is somewhat common. Best wishes to you and your family!

My 8 year old son has nosebleeds like you are describing. We try our best to remember to keep neosporin swabbed in his nose which helps alot. I did (at my aunt's insistence) have him tested for hemophilia because my cousin has hemophilia but the test was negative. You might want to have the doc check her, it's rare in girls but it can happen and alot of doc's will tell you that only males have hemo, that girls are carriers. This is untrue, my aunt is a hemophiliac and didn't know until well into her adult life because the docs said it wasn't possible. I hope this doesn't cause too much worry, she probably isn't but you should have her tested.

You seriously need to speak to a hht.org! frequent and reoccurring nose bleeds especially if there is family history of nose bleeds could be a sign of HHT watch this video and stress this to your pediatrician to have those family members and children screened for hht!!!! If left untreated it could be dangerous! http://video.hht.org/

T. Underwood

Trust your instincts, L.. If you are concerned, definately seek additional medical advice. My 7 month old has a bloody runny nose all the time. 4 attempts at discussing it with my pediatrician yeilded nothing....basically said the same thing yours did. I finally took my daughter to an ENT doctor (ear, nose and throat)this week. He told us that this is NOT typical, and that he feels that she has an underlying infection that is causing this issue. So, right now, we are on a mixture of antibiotics for the next 3 weeks to see if she improves. May not be the same issue, but you should definately seek the advice of a specialist in this area.

1 / 3