How to Get the Smell Out of Really Stinky Work Clothes...

Ok, so my fiance is an operator at a water treatment facility, and his work clothes STINK. I mean, REALLY STINK. Not like feces or sewage as you might think, it's an odd smell, like a really strong dirt/manure mix? He says that's the smell of waste matter as it breaks down and is processed... I don't know, all I know is it's PUTRID.

Yesterday, I washed the same load of clothes in HOT, with vinegar and my regular detergent, oxyclean, and a liquid fabric softener, and after 3, yes, I said 3 washes, they still came out of the washer with that funky smell. Not quite as strong, but still not clean smelling.

I already wash his work clothes separately from the rest of our clothes, and he has his own special hamper for his work clothes.

Do you wise ladies have any tried and true ways for getting the most toxic smells out of clothing on a regular basis? This isn't a stain, ladies, it's an everyday problem! Now, I know he's going to just keep wearing these same clothes to work, and getting they all stinky again, but still!!!

Hoping you'll have some great suggestions!

Krista - My fiance's employer does not provide them with uniforms, but they do get a yearly clothing allowance... and the employer does provide them with facilities and time to launder their clothes at work... but men being men, he'd throw them in with whatever soap, dry them, and bring them home, still stinky. And I am TOTALLY with ya on the stripping down before coming into the house thing!!! BUT, since we don't have a garage or a basement at the moment, that would leave my fiance to strip down on my porch, which 1) I wouldn't do to the neighbors, and 2) is a little inhumane, since it's been about 10 degrees here for the last week or so!! But definitely, when we move in the spring, I do plan to at least have his stinky work clothes remain in an area nowhere near any place that we habitate!!! LOL

Borax....soak his workclothes in water, liquid detergent and Borax. It is a great deoderizer. My hubby comes home with stinky clothes as well and Borax does the trick. I soak his clothes overnight, then rinse and then wash as usual with another dose of Borax. It works for me. Good luck.

Have you tried soaking it in an enzymatic cleaner, even something like Nature's Miracle for animal "accidents" in the home?

I use Lestoil for our really stinky stuff, which might be worth a try.

In the good weather, I'm a big believer in hanging stuff out in the sun. The UV rays are great natural odor killers.

We use cloth diapers, and for a really stinky batch, I soak in hot water overnight with 1/4 cup baking soda. Then a cold rinse (no soap). Then a hot wash with Biokleen or Charlies Soap (in this case, maybe the Lestoil, but I don't use that on the diapers) and cold rinse, with vinegar (1/4 cup) added to the rinse cycle. Then another cold rinse.... Maybe something that might help.

Hi L.-

When my husband was managing a construction project he came home with clothing that I literally won't allow in the house! I kept a paint bucket with water and Borax powder in the garage (along with a clean pair of sweats) and made the man strip before he came inside.

I think there's something that happens in the soaking that keeps the clothes from retaining the dirt and smell. Then wash with oxy clean in HOT water with all of the settings on "heavy wash" and "high soil level".

At one point he was destroying so much clothing that he asked his boss about a laundry service and they agreed- they also purchased 5 pairs of jeans with their company label sewn in. As long as the "labeled" jeans are at the launderer on Tuesday, the company pays for it. Could he look into this?

Gasoline and a match? :)

All kidding aside, try putting a cup of washing soda (can get it in the detergent isle at the market) in with the clothes.
Also, I highly second the suggestion for Charlie's Soap. I seriously love that stuff. I'm so filled with gratitude about finding it that I may name my next child after it. (I'm just kidding, but I have had a LOT of coffee this morning and it makes me a leeeetle crazy.)

Good luck! Laundry and I are not the best of friends, so I can relate.

I agree with AC. I would try an enzyme cleaner. I prefer Simple Solution over Natures Miracle, but this is my preference. I do know that Natures Miracle has alcohol in it so I do not know how that would affect the clothing material. Simple Solution doesn't and I have been using it in my 2 year olds clothing with no issues at all. I also have used Simple Solution with bleach and oxyclean

When my hubby worked in a retread shop he came home smelling like burnt rubber - I used vinegar in the wash and it worked quite well.

I would recommend adding 1/2 cup of both Borax and liquid bleach to each load.

I posted here awhile back about my yoga clothes stinking...and tried the Borax recommendation and Voila, it removed the mildewy smell...so maybe it will help cut your issue down to at least tolerable.

My husband comes home wreaking of all kinds of gasolines, chemicals and compounds. Adding baking soda to our laundry has done more than vinegar/oxyclean/doubling the amount of detergent/etc has ever done. I make sure the baking soda (1/2 cup for regular load, 3/4 for large) is completely mixed in with the detergent before adding the clothes. Sometimes, I do an extra soak with just baking soda in the water. Having a new place will help, because of the ability to "dis-robe", but also the ability to hang his clothes outside - fresh air and sun will do wonders. Good luck!

1 / 3