Smelly Wash Clothes

Hi - just a quick question...my washclothes smell moldy after just one use...I wash them fequently and have even boiled them to no avail...any ideas?

Thanks to everyone...I think it was my washing machine - I have never washed it, didn't know you had to...but things smell much better!!

I found that after washing diapers, bibs, etc. for a while everything started to stink no matter how much I washed them. Now I clean out the washing machine every month or so and it seems to help tremendously. I fill it up with hot water (no clothes), then dump in some baking soda and vinegar. I let it sit for a few minutes (maybe 10 to 20) then let it go through the rest of the wash/rinse/spin cycle. There are other ways to do this, too -- I just looked it up online. Sometimes I will have to wash the stinky stuff a couple of times, but after the machine has been cleaned out things are better. Good luck.

Are you hanging them up flat after the use? Try running them through a hot wash with a lot of vinegar in the rinse, and then drying them on high.

This happened to me with towels once. I no longer use fabric sofftener and add vinegar to the rinse cycle. I sometimes add some baking soda as it says it's a laundry detergent boost. I have had no smelly towels or washcloths since. I also rarely use bleach anymore.

Try adding good old fashioned Borax to your wash load. It's all natural, non-bleaching, and helps your soap work better. You can get it at Wal Mart or grocery store, in the laundry soap/stain remover/bleach area.

Soak them in white vinegar and water and then wash regularly. They should be fine after that. You may need to wash your washing machine....

Same thing happened to me. I tried everything. The only thing that worked was using bleach when I washed them. Also, whenever you wash them do not leave them in the washer when they are done. Put them right in the dryer.

In the past I've used bleach (if white), vinegar and good old fashioned sunshine. Soak in vinegar, wash as normal and hang in the sunshine. They won't be "fluffy soft" from the dryer but they definitely won't be musty. Good luck!

I find that whenever mold gets into fabrics, it is really hard to get out. Don't let wet clothes sit, wash them that day. Use Tide. And bleach whenever possible. The Clorox "gentle care" bleach isn't too harsh on colors if added sparingly.
I recently had to wash my son's sneaker sandals 6x before the funk got out of them. Mold is pervasive.
Avoid buying dark colored bath towels; you should always be able to bleach those. Good luck!!

1 / 3