How to Remove Body Odor from Clothes

Does anyone know how to remove body odor from clothes? I have tried washing on the cold cycle, warm cyle as well as the hot cyle. I can not get rid of the smell. Please help!

Thanks to all who responded. I used the baking soda and what a RELIEF!!!!!!

Put about a cupful of baking soda into the wash. If you are a member of Sam's or Costco, you can buy baking soda in a large box or bag at a very low cost. I believe there is also a baking soda additive in the detergent aisle of most stores, but I don't think it would work any better than just the regular baking soda, and probably is more expensive.

A little white vinegar in the wash cycle will get rid of odors. Baking soda also works wonders. Both are pretty gentle on clothing.

I have recently discovered OXO Bright (from Trader Joe's) and that stuff is amazing! I put all of my white tee shirts (yellow/gray armpits and all), pillow cases etc. in my bathtub with HOT water and a bunch of the OXO bright and everything came out stain and "fragrance" free. Some of them were on their way to the trash and I tried this as a last ditch attempt... It's cheap too - about $4 for the tub.

p.s.
BTW, I let them soak for nearly 6 hours.

Spray the armpit area thoroughly with Spray and Wash or Shout, and let soak for at least an hour before laundering. I think warm or hot works better than cold.

It looks like you already have some good suggestions. If those don't work, you might try washing soda. It is a baking soda, but designed for clothes and is found in the detergent aisle. It also works great on heavily soiled clothes that can't be bleached--like my son's white football pants--they were a pain to get clean.

soak in borax in warm before washing.

once you get it out, then continue washing with borax in the washer and wash the offending clothes seperately. Otherwise it seems to spread top everyone else's clothes, too!

I use Borax in every wash. I love it, it makes everything smell great. I have heard about adding vinegar to the wash--I think at the rinse cycle.

I use Oxyclean in every load. I had a blanket that my daughter had an accident on and nothing was getting the smell out of it so I decided to try oxyClean in the bathtub. I just filled it with scalding hot water and a couple scoops of the Oxyclean. I let it soak for 2-3 hours and then washed it as normal. I came out smelling so fresh and so soft!

Try baking soda mixed with the detergent.

Dear P.:

Have you tried non-chlorine bleach? I've had great success getting old (organic) stains out of clothes, and there may be residual stuff the odor is sticking to. Oxiclean and the like have fabric restrictions (e.g. no silk), but it's worth a try.

use baking soda in leui of your clothes detergent..it will break down the soap that has been built up and keeps the smell on the clothes as well as take the smell away.

I've done this with my towels that get a mildewy smell...

I don't know P.....but with all these new laundry additives like the one on the info-mercials all the time....Shoot,what is it called. Oxy-clean...that's it!!!
Or maybe a laundry product that is something like febreeze? I love that stuff, it takes odors out of almost anything.....
Good Luck....

I have a very sweaty (stinky) teen-ager, and Febreze did the trick for us.

I agree with Tracy H, OXO Bright (from Trader Joe's) is great and environmentally friendly. You do need to soak things for several hours to allow it to work properly.

I use it with cloth diapering as well as stained clothing (blueberries, coffee, grass, etc.). Overall seems to have worked well.

Another product I used more specifically for odors is Bi-O-Kleen's Bac-Out Stain & Odor Eliminator. This was great for cat messes on carpet. When we had a sick older cat, this saved our house from smelling bad! I've also used for laundry. Not sure how well the stain part works, mainly for odors.

try febreze! It works for me! Good Luck!

Put a 1/3 to 1/2 cup white vinegar in the wash load. I wash all of hubby's shirts with vinegar to get the smell out. Sometimes it takes a couple of washes or a straight vinegar soak in a bucket or sink before washing to get all the smeall out the first time. However, if you use the vinegar regularly, you should only need to wash once.

The vinegar smell rinses out completely and it also acts as a natural fabric softener...unfortunately, it doesn't take out static, so if you are washing something acrylic or with other manmade fibers, you still need to use an anti-static product.