How to get rid of bugs in flour?

Hi Moms,
I have been finding bugs in my flour and sugar. I have heard of them before but I have never had them until now. Please tell me what they are and how do I get rid of them? I have found them on my counters as well. We are not over run by them, but I find one here and there. Please help!

Summary

The bugs in the flour and sugar are called weavels. You need to dispose of all the flour produces (pancake mix, etc.) Wash the canisters and wipe out all food cabinets. Keep your flour in air tight containers. If they persist, contact the pest control professionals.

Thank you all so much for your responses! I have cleaned my cabinets and put all my flour sugar etc. in air tight containers. I will be storing the flour in the freezer from now on too! Again, thank you to all the moms who gave such great advice!

I remember my mom having problems with them. She always taped bay leaves on the inside of the lid and never had problems again.

They are called weevels I think that is how it is spelled.Try Martha Stewart or Rachel Ray web sites

I think they are called weevils. My mom used to get them in the wheat she stored from time to time. They look like little white worms?

Other responses will resolve the immediate problem. I can assist you with a long term solution. Check out my website: http://my2tupperware.com/cabass

Call me ###-###-####!
C. Bass

I stopped leaving loaves of bread on the kitchen counter I keep them in the fridge, don,t know why but ants come, if there is bus in the flour it means different things like its expired or you may need to do a cleaning in your pantry, i put my 5 lb bags of flour and sugar, i slip it in a freezer bag then put it on the shelf,

Hi K. -

The bugs in your flour and sugar are called weavels. You need to dispose of all the flour produces (pancake mix, etc.) Wash the canisters and wipe out all food cabinets. WE have had these too. My husband bought Ortho Home Defense (which is safe for children and pets once it is dry. We sprayed the inside of the cabinets and around the cabinet bases. This will also take care of the teeny sugar ants or other insects that appear occasionally. I started putting a ziplock bag down in the canister and then filling each one. Seem to have stopped the bugs. Also be sure and check the cabinet where the cake boxes and cereal are in. You can also get what are called meal moths. The oatmeal can do the same. They nest in the meals and before long you have them in everything. They can also come directly from the grocery store as they may have been in the warehouses. I have just started putting everything in airtight containers for this reason. It was getting too expensive to have to through everything out. Good luck and don't get too upset over a little ole' weavel.

Stuff like those items...flour, sugar, pancake mix, etc need to be in a cabinet AWAY from the oven or microwave!!!! I do not know exactly what the coincidence is, but I know that can cause the 'bugs'.

Someone above said that there is ALWAYS bugs in flour...WRONG!
Those are flour beetles and please take care of them for the sake of your family health. Do what many suggested, keep them in fridge or freezer, throw away the old ones...etc. Good luck

Wheat bugs probably. You will have to throw out whatever you found them in. Then go through all the other boxed items like cereal, bags of beans, and so on until you find them all and throw them out. You will need to put flour, sugar, cereals, beans, and things of that nature in tupperware type sealed containers. I don't believe you need to spray. My mom just started keeping all that stuff in tupperware containers or big jars with lids. That way if she bought something that was infested it wouldn't spread to other items. I think it was more prevelant years ago, but you can still purchase stuff these days with infestations on occasion.

My daughter made my mother-in-law a bean mosaic one time. She noticed little bugs on her counters for a few weeks but didn't figure out where they were coming from right away. They had hatched from the dried beans we used I suppose, but she had to throw it out and then her infestation was gone.

So I've decided that we will toast our beans first before making another mosaic.

Bugs are not attracted to the food, they are attracted to the glue in the bags and boxes in your cabinets. They could be coming in from outside sources or they could be in the products when you bring them home. Tupperware makes a pantry storage system called Modular Mates where all the containers stack together to maximize your storage space. They are virtually air and liquid tight. They will keep bugs out. If they are in the products when you bring them home and you put them in the Modular Mates right away, they can't get out to contaminate other foods. They will be searching for air and they will die on the inside of the seal. If you would like further info on how they work, please let me know. You can also go to my website at www.my.tupperware.com/jenniferpetricig. I have lots of Modular Mates customers that would be happy to give a testimonial/referral. Hope that helps! Thanks.

We had this last year. Throw away everything you find the bugs in and wipe down the cupboards and counters with 1 part bleach and 2 parts water. I also suggest storing flour, sugar, grains, etc in tupperware type containers.

Once i did this they were gone and I have not had any since.

1 / 3