How Long Does It Take for Earring Holes to Grow Up?

My 9 yr. old daughter got her ears pierced 6 weeks ago. We took the earrings out but she will not let me or anyone else replace them. She says it hurts and acts like we are killing her. Her ears are not red nor infected, they look fine but she insists that we are hurting her and will not let anyone near them. The last time I tried I put ice on them but it still didn't work. My question is how much longer do we have until the holes grow up? It's been 3 days.

My grandma always told me that the wholes don't grow back totally. and if you take a warm wash cloth and put it over the whole for a few minutes it makes the skin easier to get through. It does work. I personally hadn't worn earring for about 2 years and I used grandma's trick and it worked. With very little pain might I add. Hope this helps and good luck T.

iF SHE WON'T ALLOW YOU TO TAKE CARE OF THEM, ALLOW THEM TO CLOSE. iF SHE WANTS TO WEAR THE EARRINGS, CLEAN THE POSTS WELL, AND PUT NEOSPORIN OINTMENT ON THEM AND TRY TO INSERT THEM WHILE SHE IS ASLEEP. iF SHE DOESN'T WANT THEM, CLEAN THEM, USE NEOSPORIN ON THEM FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS AND LEAVE THEM ALONE. iT CAN TAKE MONTHS FOR THEM TO COMPLETELY CLOSE, BUT THEY WON'T LOOK FUNNY, JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE.

I had my ears pierced at 5 years old and still have problems (28 years later)at times with them hurting (although I don't wear earings all the time) My daughter on the other hand got them pierced at 7 months and has never had a problem - she's now 8. What I have found that works for both of us is to stick the earing post in some neosporin (or similar antibacterialointment) before inserting them. It not only helps them slide in, but it actually keeps it from being sore. What type of earings did she use for the piercing? (sorry I don't know if there is a specific one used for piercing since it has been so long for us) sometimes it's the type of metal. 14K gold vs gold overlay, or silver that kind of thing. I have found that my ears do better with the 14K gold over anything else. it may be that the irritation is what she is calling pain. sometimes the back side of my hold seems to close up. I gerneally have to feel around (kind of massage)the back of my earlobe to sort of open it up before putting an earing in. also if she will let you try the ointment and put new ones in, get a pair of kids earings (walmart actually sells 14K gold ones that are very reasonably priced) they will have a much smaller post. if she will let you put them in (or try herself) and can hold off for a few more weeks, it should get better and save her from future problems. Good luck with it all.

Lot of good input, the final decision on what to do is up to you.
Personally, since she is acting like they are still sore, and they shouldn't normally be sore after 6 weeks, have her ears checked by a doctor.
Was there a specific reason why the original "training" earrings were removed before 8 weeks?? Just asking because they usually recommend leaving them in for 8-10 weeks before changing to regular posts/wires.
Let us know what is decided; since she already has them pierced, try to see what the real issue is and make sure you tell her she might not be able to get them pierced later on because of scar tissue, and why go through it again?? If they're not infected in any way, but she still refuses to wear the earrings just let her do what she wants, and tell her if she is able to have them redone later on, she has to pay for it!!

It really just depends; it seems to differ from person to person. I haven't worn earrings in my second or third earring holes in years and years, yet they're still there. My friend had her daughter's ears pierced when she was an infant. They took out the earrings probably about a year ago, and they just realized that they still haven't grown up. Considering your daughter didn't wear them long, hers might grow up, but if she's not wearing earrings in them I can't imagine why they'd be hurting her.

We had my daughters ears pierced a couple of weeks ago and were advised to not remove them for 6 weeks. After that we need to make sure there is something in the ear for six months before leaving them open. Sounds like you are right on track. Try to be sneaky, put one in while she's sleeping!

Really 6 wks is not enough time for them to heal. It takes at least 12 wks and to make sure they dont grow over when they are left out for a while you should wait a year for no earings. Since they have been out for 3 days it will hurt when you put them back in. My suggestion would be to file the end of the pierced earings down and let her slowly put them back in after cleaning ears and earings with alcohol. This way it is not opening up sensitive areas with the point of the earings. I know I have 2 13 yr olds that had the bottom holes done and now we moved on to the cartlidge at the top of the ear. Scarey for me but they were excited. So this is just the beginning.

I've had my ears pierced for 15 years and they've never quite "taken". I am allergic to metal.

The only metal I can comfortably wear without any reaction is platinum and surgical steel. The expense of platinum is obviously prohibitive and they no longer sell earrings on surgical steel posts (at least locally....) I've tried "hypoallergenic" titanium, but it still contains enough impurities that it irritates my earlobes after a while. And I'm just too plain old to wear plastic earrings....lol!

Make sure she has been diligent and hasn't let the skin grow over/into the earrings. One's supposed to turn them and swab them twice daily for the first several (I think six) weeks to prevent growing over and infection.

Good luck! Hope you find something to help!

Hi, M.

In my experience you should leave the training earrings in for a couple of weeks, but she should let you clean around the earring with the stuff that you should have received from the place that pierced her ears, to avoid infection, and twirl the earring while in her ear.

GOOD LUCK,

P.S. If it is hurting her, it could just be dried blood (just a bit) built up around the earring making it hard to move and tugging at her skin a bit when you try to. The solution should help with all of it.

1 / 3