Help! My 6Yo Has an Infection in a Newly Pierced Ear!

I hope someone can help me. My 6 yo daughter got her ears pierced 9 days ago. We have been cleaning them two times a day, every day, as we were instructed to do. Yesterday, when I was cleaning her ears, I noticed that one of her ear lobes looked slightly red and puffy. I cleaned it really well. This morning I was really moving it around so I could see what it looked like under the earring. When I pushed on the lobe I was able to get a tiny amount of discharge out. She complained that it hurt when I did that. I really rinsed it with the cleaner that came with the kit. I also poured some hydrogen peroxide around it and as I expected it did bubble..........what do I do? I don't want to take it out. Can I get this to clear up without taking the earring out? Should I continue with the hydrogen peroxide? Is there something better to use? Antibiotic cream or something? Thanks for your advice!

She probably has an allergy to the metal in the earring. Usually it is an allergy to the nickel. Avon earrings have no nickel in them so most people are not allergic to them. If you have a small pair of Avon stud earrings, put them in.

Hypoallergenic earrings still have nickel in them so you have to go nickel free.
I sell Avon so am quite familiar with this and I also have the nickel allergy and the Avon earrings work fine for me all except the copper ones.

If you have been that faithful with the daily cleansing, then I too would suspect it's an allergy to the metal of the earring, not necessarily just from the piercing itself. I have super-sensitive ears and I try to buy "nickel-free" earrings. Sterling silver earrings also work well for me, but they can be more pricey. Sometimes I only know which ones work by trying to wear a pair and in 1/2 a day or so one lobe or the other will get itchy or red and irritated. But by putting in one of my "safe" pairs, the irritation quickly goes away. I haven't cleaned my ear lobes for years, but I used rubbing alcohol 25 years ago...it burned like the dickens, but did clear things up. I would probably go for a different pair of earrings and a milder cleanser with a little one though, just to make it less traumatic. Good luck!

Try neosporin for faster healing. Usually the earring used for piercing are surgical steel. Keep them clean and make sure if your daughter is touching her ears her hands are clean as well. Be careful as MRSA can be a bad infection to mess with.

Do not take it out! She will freak out when it's time to put it in and at this stage you won't have a hole to put it back into. It'll close on you. My daughter has had her ears pierced 9 months and we've had between 5-7 infections. I cleaned twice a day and then went down to once a day after 4-6 months and infection 1 started. We've been pretty good about the twice a day thing but she still gets them. We switched out the earrings at 6 months with 14K gold. I don't think it's the metal but maybe your child has an allergy to the metal. When an infection happens I switch to a non burning non painful spray from Walgreen's http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100951&a.... I wouldn't use peroxide because that can be painful. I'd clean it 3 times a day during infection time. Hope it clears up soon.

I would use alcohol on that ear for a while. I did it with my daughter and they turned out just fine.

My son got his ear pierced in Sept for his birthday. His did the same thing. the lady who pierced his ear said to use peroxide or alochol it did better than the antiseptic solution. we did it two times a day with the peroxide.. washed hands before and after and it still got red, hot and had some discharge. then we cleaned it really good with peroxide.. took the ear ring out and soaked it in peroxide until the bubbles quit then did it again. while doing that we washed his ear first with peroxide then with anti bacteral soap. let it air dry then after 15mins put the ear ring back in with the peroxide still on it so it got inside the ear. since then he has had no problems.

As someone with several piercings I can tell you that the solution that they give you at the store is horrible to use. I am allergic to it as is my daughter (who also has multiple piercings) and using it has always caused us problems. Peroxide is not advisable to use because it actually prevents scar tissue from forming (by the bubble action). When we get a new piercing, we always go to a tattoo shop rather than a local store as the piercing method they use is much easier on us than a gun and seems to heal faster. We also use sea salt mixed with water (as recommended by our piercer) and have had excellent results with it. Sea salt can be bought quite cheaply at your local grocery store next to the table salt. We also use contact solution, as also recommended by our piercer as it is sterile and effective in cleaning. If this doesn't clear up the infection, then you might try switching her to gold earings as it may be a metal allergy causing it. Good luck to ya hun!

My daughter went through the exact same thing a few times. My advise is to take them out and let her get her ears pierced when she is older, maybe 11 or 12. We tried over and over with everything imaginable, nothing worked so we took the earrings out.
She is now 15, had her ears pierced since age 11, and wears earrings all the time with no problems!

1 / 3