How Long Before I Should Take My Baby to the Doctor for a Cough?

I have 4 kids aged 3 1/2 and under, and they have all had little colds with coughs recently. My 6 month old girl's cough is still hanging on after about 3 weeks. It's not a really bad cough, and it isn't very strong. She did have a runny nose and other cold symptoms at first, but the cough is the only one lingering. It doesn't sound fleghmy and it doesn't seem to really be bothering her. The cough is not getting any worse - it's been the same this whole time and better since the other cold symptoms cleared. She also doesn't have any change in any other behavior (eating, sleeping, energy, fussiness, etc.) Should I be worried about it and take her in? Or should I wait a while and see if it resolves on it's own?

Thank you, everyone for all your wonderful responses. I have already been using the humidifier in her room, and I think her cough is actually getting a little better and less often. She's due for another well visit in about a week, so I think I'll just wait it out until then, and ask about it if it's still going on at that time. In the meantime, I'll be keeping a close eye on her for any changes.

Humidity might help, it's been a cold dry winter....
Hyline homeopathic tabs have vit C 25mgs 2 times a day.
If diarhea starts up cut back to 1 25 mg tab.
A.

I think if she isn't too uncomfortable and it's not a really bad cough I would wait it out still. I haven't tried this but I heard that if you put garlic and make it into a paste and rub it on the bottom of her feet. Then put socks on top it will help the cough. I have no idea if it works but it is worth a try! :) P.s. I think you are AMAZING that you have twin 1 1/2 year olds and a six month old. I have twin 9 month old girls and a two year old. Good luck!

After a few kids I finally figured out the thing to do is call your doctor's office and ask to talk to the nurse. She will tell you if you need to bring your child in and if you don't need to take her in she will tell you how to relieve her symptoms at home.

If she doesn't have a fever and the cough is not a "barking" cough then it is probably just lingering from the cold. It never hurts to call your doctor, though.

I have to things to say. First of all the cough is the last thing to leave after a cold, so I wouldn't be too worried they can last for a while. The second is, I was reading in my "What to Expect" book yesterday and it said that sometimes babies that age cough for the attention, so just ignore it and it will stop. Just some ideas to think about.

I've got 3 kids under 8, all of which get the croup every year. We've always had the lingering cough and it drives me nuts! My advice is to take her in, use a cold air humidifier, and to pick up the chest patches! We've been lucky this year and haven't been sick! Good luck!

When in doubt, check it out. That was my motto when raising kids, but often the doctor can only assure you it is not pneumonia. I would suggest a humidifier near where she sleeps or naps, elevate the mattress, offer her water often, and do salt water nose drops(1/4 tsp per cup of water - use qtip or dropper to apply) to loosen up any residual drainage which is probably causing her cough. You don't have to aspirate every time, just let it settle in there and do its work.

Maybe give it a couple more weeks. Sometimes colds can take 6 weeks form start to finish.

A.

1 / 3