Sick 2 Month Old. - Mesa,AZ

Hello all.. first time asking for advise. I have a two month old son. (my 1st week back to work and it's horrible) He's come down with a cold. He has a cough. No runny nose.. no fever.. still eating (breastfed) still pooping & peeing. His cough sounds horrible and he's starting to get the rattle in his breathing. I took him in to the doctor last week and they told me he just has a cold. The Doc listened to his lungs and said they are clear.. that he just has to stick it out. I took him to the sitters this morning.. and didn't make it an hour at work and she's emailing me/calling.. suggesting I take him in to urgent care. I am concerned that my son is sick for the 1st time.. but worried that the sitter might be freakin out toooo much. I had my dad go pick up my son (in case he needs to go to urgent care) but my dad says he's the same. Any thoughts.. suggestions?

Just wanted to thank everyone for your responses.. my little boy is doing better.. he just had a cold.. and decided to share with his favorite mommy.. :O) he just had his two month check up on Friday.. and got a bit of a fever, but he's over that too. Thanks again for all the great advise! You gals are the best...

Hello,

This time of the year, babies are prone to RSV. This is a cold virus that adults can tollerate, but children have a tough time fighting the virus.

The other problem is that at this age, the baby breathes through the nose which is now stuffy.

So, I would watch the baby and if he starts to breathe by pulling in the muscles in his chest, then he needs to be seen promptly.

I would recommend taking him back to the dr. When I started going back to work my then 6 month old got sick, at first the dr said it was a cold... she did not get better I took her back and it was the croup...they had to give me a nebulizer and treatment for me to give her at home.
hope this helps!

It is more than likly just a cold but if you can prop him up to sleep his breathing will be easier, sleeping in a swing is great.

Your son does just have a cold. it is an upper respiratory infection. This is a virus and can not be cured by antibiotics. It has to run its course. The congestion and rattling you hear is just sputum in his upper airway. make sure he is well hydrating because this will keep his mucous thin versus sitting in the back of his throat. Suction his nose out to keep it clear because babies are dominate nose breathers and if they can not breath out of their nose they will not eat. Using a cool mist humidifier at night will also help keep his airway moist. If his cough seems really bed and is keeping him awake take him in the bathroom, close the door, turn the hot water on full blast and sit with him in the steam fro about 20-30 mintues. This will help loosen up his upper airway. Do NOT give him any over the counter medications, he is too young. If he gets a rectal temperature over 101.1 than you can give him infant tylenol. Be patient, he will get better. A virus can take 7-10 days to get better. If he is still sick after that take him back to the doctors. Ii hope this helps. A mother of five and registered nurse. M.

Dear Cande S,
I have been an RN for 12 years, teaching infant care to new moms, and I have three children of my own. You may hear differing advice from many well-meaning people, but none of them are your baby's mother! It doesn't matter that you're a first-time mother. Trust your instincts!! YOU know your baby the best. If your baby is eating,peeing, pooping, and ACTING NORMAL with no fever, and YOU feel he's fine with just a bad cough from a cold, then continue to watch him for any CHANGES while you're waiting for him to get over it. (By the way, you are doing the BEST THING for him by breastfeeding, as that gives him a stronger immune system!) However, if it's been a WEEK since the doctor listened to his lungs, and you're hearing a 'rattle' that has worsened, then monitor his temperature closely. Fluid in the lungs of an infant is very serious and he'll spike a temp! You'll also notice he'll breastfeed in short 'spurts', because he'll become 'tired out' too easily. Above all, if YOU, as the MOTHER are concerned, then by all means, take your baby in to be seen by a doctor. I realize you said you were at work, but if you picked a babysitter that you trust, then you'll need to try to get your boss to understand that YOU need to be the one to check YOUR baby. That's one of the hardest things to do for a mom returning to the workplace because we're made to feel guilty for leaving work, but then we feel guilty if we're not home when something happens! Whatever the case, DO WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU!! My prayers are with you and your baby,
D. G

Hi Cande, Look for these signs just in case. My son had this and it is VERY important to monitor them. My son ended up getting a precautionary steroid shot to help. Also sleeping with a humidifier helps with the breathing and rasp.

Symptoms of Croup
The general symptoms of croup include:

* harsh, high-pitched respiratory sound called a stridor

* a brassy, barking cough

* a hoarse cry

* difficulty breathing

In addition to the above stated symptoms,a child with viral croup may also experience:

* low-grade fever

* rattling sounds while exhaling

* scattered crackles in the chest

A child with spasmodic croup may also experience:

* runny nose

* noisy inhalation

* rapid pulse

* clammy skin

* labored breathing with retractions (chest sinking in)

Hi Cande. When your little one (and so little) is sick, it can be really unnerving! My little guy had a few colds when he was really young, and I would get really concerned, but we got through them. If your doctor listened to his lungs and thought they sounded clear, that is good. Are you using a cool mist humidifier at night? That is helpful. Also, having him sleep on a slight incline is helpful for congestion. My son spent a lot of time sleeping swaddled and strapped into his McClaren infant chair for that very reason when he was just a couple/few months old. Even if he doesn't have a runny nose, he may have some post-nasal drip. That's great that he's still breastfeeding well. Just keep a close eye on him and don't be afraid to call the doctor if you become concerned. Take care!

Hi Cande -
I'm a mom of 3 kids (11, 7 and 4) and have a degree in health promotion and wellness. I just want to encourage you to keep breastfeeding your son through this little cold and let you know that based on the info you've provided it seems that he'll get through this the very best with your milk and some love and rest. I would not take him to urgent care. Not only would you be exposing him to countless new germs, but it doesn't sound like he is in need of intervention at this time. Recent studies in the news have reported that Western medicine drugs for colds can actually be very harmful to infants. Your own milk will help him more than anything else, and his little immune system is getting stronger through all this as well. It's always disconcerting when our little ones get sick (for the first time especially!) and he is so young, but your breastmilk will give him just what he needs to get better. Did you know that your breastmilk changes to meet the needs of your baby? It's very wonderful and you are giving him such a gift of continuing to nurse him even though you have returned to work. You probably have some antibodies in your milk to help him fight whatever little bug he has right now. I would NOT suggest juice, particularly for such a young nursing infant. Your milk is the only thing he needs right now! A vaporizer might also help with the cough. It's so dry right now in Colorado. Hang in there!! And trust your intuition!!

Hello,

Hey Cande S
I had a similar experience with my first daughter. I think it is just the babysitter freaking out a liitle too much, it is just a little cold and I am sure the baby will get over it. I noticed babysitters do not like the babies to come if they have a simple little cough or runny nose, even though most of the time they got the cold from they babysitters in the first place. So as long as your baby doesn't have a fever I am sure your son will be ok.

hope this helps!

1 / 3