Greek Yogurt

My daughter is 11 months old. She only has two teeth (a third is just coming in) so we are still primarily feeding her pureed foods. We were giving her Yo Baby yogurt which she enjoys but for some unknown reason my local grocery is not longer carrying it. Is there any reason I can't give her plain Greek yogurt (or even the flavored Chobani...obviously not the honey variety)? Thanks!

Edited to Add: I know Chobani uses nonfat milk....does her yogurt have to use full fat?

I will be stalking the yogurt aisle the next time I go to the store in search of a full fat yogurt without any added sugars or dyes but possibly some flavor to spice up her life. Fear not, she does get table foods but she isn't ready to have only table foods. She will eat a few bites and then seems to prefer pureed food. All in good time...

Thanks ladies!

Plain greek is much better and would be a doc's pick over yobaby.

Yo Baby yogurt is no better for her than other yogurts as it has a very high sugar content compared with other yogurts. I give my son Yoplait and Greek yogurt.I love the Greek yogurts texture personally.

My grandson loves the Greek Yogurt we buy ONLY Organic yogurt and he loves the Yo-Baby still and he is now 3 1/2. I would write or call and ask why they no longer carry it at the store you go to and ask where you can purchase it in your area they may even send you some coupons.

I never fed my daughter any of the special "kid" yogurts. I did give her a lot of plain Greek yogurt. Later, we started with some flavored which I liked that they used sugar and not HFCS.

The fat is important for normal development but it is possible that she is getting plenty of fat from other sources.

Greek yogurt is also a great source of protein for little ones.

Read the labels. Not all are created equal. I love the texture and flavor of Greek Gods brand...but it doesn't have as much protein as other brands. I don't know what is different except for the addition of pectin in theirs which I am sure contributes to the nice texture.

I would feed her full-fat yogurt, either Greek or regular over the Yo Baby any day. You can get plain or vanilla and flavor it yourself so you can control the amount of sugar. She really should have full-fat yogurt at this point. Chobani does make some low-fat yogurts in addition to their fat-free (try the pineapple if you haven't, it's 2% and totally awesome) but I would eat those myself and give baby the extra fat.

Everything I've read says that Greek yogurt is great for kids her age because its packed full of protein. Chobani makes a 2% as well in the 6 oz cups, so check that out (I found it in my local Target). At her age, she probably should have a version with fat, but with the amount of protein in the yogurt, I think its a win either way.

i would give a baby chobani or oikos over expensive designer baby yogurt any day. they both make full fat, which i would pick for a baby that young.
yum.
:) khairete

At her age it's best to feed her yogurt made from whole milk. The fat is good for her brain. When she turns 2 it's okay to start giving her low fat yogurt. I don't know if the Greek yogurt would be good for her or not. Not that it's a bad food, but it just has so much protein in it that it may make her too full and she may not want to eat other foods. Have you checked Walmart for the Yo Baby yogurt? I think they have it at my Walmart so you may want to look there.

1 / 3