Anyone Else Have a Toddler Who Is Addicted to Yogurt???!

We have a 19 month old who has become a much better eater in recent months. Up until about 2 months ago, she wouldn't eat cereal and milk, bread, and several other things...and lately she's just really taken off with food (though not as well as I would like, but I'm not pushing the issue). About 2 hours after breakfast, she usually asks for yogurt and can consume a regular 8 oz container. In the evening, usually about 30 minutes before bed, she also asks for yogurt and I allow her to have another container (she may or may not finish it, depending) that I mix with some cereal. She is not a milk drinker so yogurt is her main source of calcium (she does like dark greens which are also loaded with calcium). Do you think 1.5 or 2 containers of yogurt is too much? As a side, she's a peanut...quite petite...so the more she eats, the happier I am!

My two year old also loves it. I buy organic for her. She would eat it for every meal if I let her...

I've got this same issue. My almost 2.5yo asks for it at every meal and gets very mad if I tell her no or that we don't have any. I try to limit it to one container a day as it does tend to make her a bit constipated if she gets more than that. I'll be interested to see what other moms say.

As long as it isn't junk yogurt, she's good to go! Has she tried Chobani or another Greek yogurt? Those are outstanding and much healthier than say, Yoplait or Dannon. We got our son hooked on Vanilla Chobani with Kashi cereal; he calls it his "sticks and cream" breakfast lol

I think it's fine. Some yogurt can have a lot of sugar though...

Healthy yogurt is good for her... I see no problems with it. Just dont use the kind with all the sugars and additives. That's defeating the purpose :)

We switched our son to greek yogurt at about 15 months. Yobaby has way too much sugar in it.

Yogurt - if the organic kind jam packed with probiotics and regular sugar - is GREAT!! My 5 year old loves the stuff too.

Yogurt is sooo good for kids so 2 a day isn't a bad thing. My only 2 concerns are: diaper rash, my grandson got horrible diaper rash after eating yorgurt and Austistic kids crave yogurt and it makes them violent. My granddaughter falls into the autisim spectrum and she loves yorgurt, she was about 3 and visiting me, she went and got 3 yorgurts from the fridge and brought it to her Mom and me, we thought it was okay at the time and let her have the yorgurt. Fast forward about 2 years and my daughter finds out that yorgurt makes her violent. Simple things like 'honey it's time for bed, pick up your toys' and she would lay on the floor and kick and scream. So if you don't have the issues with diaper rash or behavior, I see no problems with giving her yorgurt. You might also let her have flavored milk and cheese. But cheese can cause constipation.

OMG, my son is just like you describe!!! He also does not drink cow's milk (or any milk, for that matter) and he eats LOTS of yogurt...I mean LOADS of it, in the morning for breakfast (with cereals) and whenever he wants a snack in the afternoon...sometimes even after dinner! I never thought it could be a problem, actually..how else would he get his calcium otherwise? He does not eat enough cheese to replace yogurt, so I guess it's a good thing. The only consideration I have is to change brand and flavor every once in while, just in case there are unforeseable issues with just one (for example preservatives or bacteria or issues in the production/factory), so they don't pile up in his system. I think your child is fine!

1 / 3