Good Meat Loaf Recipe

Hi Everyone,
Ok, so my husbands favorite meal is meat loaf. Unfortunately I am not the world's best cook. Some how I manage to ruin even meat loaf. His birthday is coming up and so I am going to attempt making meat loaf again. Any good recipes? Tips? Mine always ends up really dry with a lot of grease on the pottom of the pan. What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

I was never a meatloaf maker until I came across this recipe that is soooo simple and sooo delicious! I even converted my father, who has disliked meatloaf his whole life, into a (well, my) meatloaf lover! I actually published it online at HubPages (my work from home money maker) - here's a link to it:

http://hubpages.com/hub/DeliciousMeatloaf

No offense to all the ladies below with great sounding recipes, but mine is a relatively healthy version of meatloaf yet the most delicious I've ever tried. It also has only a few ingredients and is super easy to make. I even use the 97% fat free ground beef and it's great and ALWAYS a big hit.

I hope you try it and like it!

Thanks for asking the question. My husband loves it too, but unfortunately I could do without, so I try to mix it up every now and then. One thing I do now is roll the meat out on a cutting board, load the center with different kinds of cheeses and mushrooms and fold it up so that it's 'stuffed'. It adds some excitment to the meal for me and my son (3) and husband love it stuffed. To combat the dryness of a meat loaf, I've used a pork, beef mix and I also cover it until about 15 min before it's done.

I will not put in a recipe, but after looking at all the recipes and tips, I realized there is one that is not included and is actually very important when working with ANY ground meat. When you are mixing all the ingredients in with the meat, do not mix too long. Just enough to lightly mix everything in. If you mix too long, the meat gets tough and you take out all the air pockets, which helps make the loaf fluffy and, yes, even helps keep it moist. Otherwise, if you mix things too well for too long, you get a very dense, dry meatloaf that always seems overcooked.

My MIL makes the best meatloaf. She gave me the recipe and I make it at least twice a month along with scalloped potatoes and salad/ vegatables. Here is the recipe:
Mix All Together

2 lbs of ground beef
1/2 chopped onion
1 egg
1 cup of oatmeal (quick oats)
3/4 cup of spaghetti sauce (not tomato paste, try ragu or prego)
salt & pepper to taste

Grease 2 bread loaf bans ( I use vegetable oil on a paper towel and spread it on the bottom and sides)
Bake at 350 for 45 mins to 1 hour til done

I'll give you my recipe but I'm really not good at writing out recipes because I don't measure so I hope you can understand it.

1 lb. ground beef
1 link chorizo (optional)
1 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 grated onion
couple shakes of worcestershire
1/2 jar spaghetti sauce (I use the ragu w/vegetables)
salt/pepper/seasonings

Preheat oven to 375. Basically just mix everything together but only use 1/4 jar of the sauce and save the rest. Then you can either put in a loaf pan or mound it out and place on a cookie sheet (when I do this I usually surround it by cut up potatoes and baby carrots, seasoned and drizzled with some oil). Cook it for an hour but 15 minutes before taking it out spread the last 1/4 jar of spaghetti sauce on top. At this point, also, if you have a lot of grease, just drain it out and then put the sauce on.

It comes out really good. Oh, and sometimes when I'm forming it I'll put some monterey jack cheese slices in the middle.

You have a lot of recipes here - so I will just address technique.

you mentioned the dryness -
Cover with foil while cooking, so it doesn't dry out. If you put small chopt raw veggies in, (onions, celery, green bell peppers, mushrooms) that adds a lot of moisture because as they cook they give off all thier liquid and all that moistures meatloaf from the inside.

You mentioned greasiness -
Adding a little turkey and using the leanest ground beef or ground sirloin cuts way down on the grease.
Adding a little italian sausage really adds tons of flavor.

Esther’s Meatloaf

Preheat oven to 325

Prep a rectangle baking dish with either a meat rack or crumpled foil so that meat loaf will not be swimming in drippings.

3 lbs of ground meat your choice
I use
1 ¼ lb Ground Chuck
1 ¼ lb ground turkey
1/2 lb ground pork
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp garlic powder (optional)
1 small onion chopped

1 egg beaten
1 cup day old bread (torn into pieces)or crackers (crushed)
½ cup milk

1 can Rotel Tomatoes crushed

1 cup Velveeta or American Cheese cubed (optional)

Mix all of the meat seasoning and onion together.
Place bread or cracker mixture into milk and then squeeze out excess liquid.
Add wet bread to meat along with beaten egg.
Mix well.

If using cheese ~ Place half of meat on a board.. lay the cubed cheese down the center of the meat. Push up sides of meat to make a loaf around the sides of the cheese add the rest of the meat to the top of the cheese.. Make sure there are no places for the cheese to melt through.

Place the loaf in the prepped rectangle baking dish.
Pour the can of Rotel tomatoes over the top of the meatloaf.
Cover in tin foil.

Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F and the meat loaf is cooked through.

Option ~ You can do an Italian version by adding basil to the meat mixture, filling with mozzarella or provolone cheese and topping with your favorite Italian tomato sauce.

I hope you try it and like it!

Ok, here's an easy one. Buy a box of Lipton Beefy Onion soup mix, the recipe is on the box. Use a 2lb mixture of ground beef/pork. Publix actually sells this as "meatloaf mixture". It's easy and great!!

I like mine! But everyone has their own taste!

1 lb hamburger meat
1 egg
1 small can of rotel (spicy or reg which ever you prefer)
1 small can tomato sauce
bread crumbs
salt
pepper
onion salt

Preheat oven to 375
mix the meat, egg, rotel, 1/2 the can of sauce, and bread crumbs (add until its not soupy or runny) and salt, pepper, and onion salt(just a little)
mold into big log and top with remaining sauce cook about 1 hour and top with ketchup if you would like, i like my meatloaf a little crispy around the edges so just be sure to keep an eye on it.

1 / 3