Ear Infections and Chiropractic Care

I'd like to hear from other moms who have used a pediatric chiropractor to treat their children's ear infections. How old was your child at the time and what was your experience like? How long did it take before the ear infections/fluid cleared up? Does your child require regular adjustments? Any advice or information you can impart would be greatly appreciated!

I'm very grateful for all the information I received. I had heard that milk allergies and sugar can be the source of trouble for ear infections. My daughter is not yet 9 months old and still breastfed, so she is not eating any dairy or sugar, however I had been using formula (milk-based) to mix in with her baby cereal and within a few days of starting that, she developed her first ear infection. I don't know if it will make a difference, but I just switched to a soy formula for mixing with the cereal. I found a pediatric chiropractor in Glencoe and we will be going in for a consultation. Thanks everyone!

My son's been going to a chiropractor since he was 2 weeks old. He's only had three ear infections and he's now 2 and a half. I've taken him in for adjustments after he was diagnosed, but I also gave him his prescribed medicine. Hope this helps!

L., My doctor recommends eliminating dairy and limiting sugar. I've been very attentive to diet since my son had his first and only ear infection. He was 3 at the time. It's worked for us. We also go regularly to the Chiropractor.
Good Luck.

chiro care is great for kids. My son was adjusted on his second day of life and gets adjustments about once a month for wellness. my son is eight months old and has only been sick once and it was with an ear infection I did two things that made a world of difference I got him adjusted and as recommended from his doctor i put a little breastmilk in his ear and he was like a new baby the next day. i work as a massage therapist at a chiropractic office in Bartlett and the owner is a ped's specialist as well as a mom herself I'd be happy to get you in for a free consult. just let me know if I can help.

I am so happy to respond to this question!
As a child, I went to a pediatrician who believed in Chiro care and "natural" way of healing.(I do not remember his exact title) I was a competitive swimmer and would go to him every season for sever ear infection and to adjust my back. When I had my oldest son I could not find the type of doctor I had so I just used what the insurance allowed. He would get really bad ear infections and all the different doctors kept giving him tons of medication. I needed an ajustment when I was pregnant with my 2nd boy, and my oldest had an infection in his ear and was on meds. The doctor adjusted him, and w/in hour the fever went away and the next day he was fine! By the time he turned 5 he had his tonsils and adnoids removed.The thing that kills me is that due to all the medication he was on when he was little, his permanent teeth are yellow.I have taken my second boy to the chiro for every ear infection, and every time it cleared w/in a day.He barely ever had to use medication, but we did use the tylenol and motrin for pain.

This is the BEST part of this story...
I have 3 year old twins who have fever seizures when they would get a 101-102 temp.Every time they would get sick, we'd end up in the ER for a seizure.I started to take them to a Chiro who works with pediatrics.I took all 4 boys before the flu season for preventative maintenance and every time they had gotten sick, I took them to her, and she would do an adjustment. Within a day or two, they would be completely fine...no fever....NO SEISURES!!! We have been seizure free for 1 year since going to the chiro. Their doctor asked me what I did different this year, and I told him about the chiro, and he was amazed. I wish more pediaric doctors were like mine when I was little.
Sorry this is so long.I hope all this info helps.Be sure to find a chiro who works with peds. You'll have to call various offices and ask.

Hi L.. I am M. W. and my husband and I have 2 beautiful girls, ages 4 and 2 1/2. When our oldest one was about a year she kept getting ear infections all the time, they gave her antibiotics, and after 9 days of taking penicilin we found out that she was allergic to the medicine, then had to give her another medicine to get rid of the hives, but her ear infections would still come, so about when she was 18 months old, we had to go to the ear dr, and he had to put tubes in her ear. What it does it helps drain the fluid in the ear, because it was staying in there, like behind the middle part of the eardrum. It also helps keep the wax buildup . The tubes are really quite small, but they do fall out eventually. But I am not sure if her ears are bothering her now or not, bc she likes to put her fingers in her ears, but I dont think its too loud for her. I hope that I was able to help.

M. W.

My daughter who is now 16 started receiving chiropractic care when she was 2 years old for chronic ear infections. Initially she needed 2 or 3 adjustments to allow her body to clear up the ear infection. She acquired one more ear infection after that and again required 2 or 3 consecutive adjustments in order to allow her body to heal. Since that time, she has received regular chiropractic care and has been ear infection free all of these years. My youngest daughter who is now 8 started receiving chiropractic care when she was 3 days old as a maintenance treatment. Our family chiropractic experience has been a definite positive!!

Good Luck.

my friend's daughter had recurrent ear infections. she did get chiro. adjustments, but not a lot. She saw a homeopathic dr. in naperville (we also see her for my son's eczema and reactive airway disease) and her ear infections have only recurred 2x in a yr and 1/2 since being treated homeopathically. She takes a remedy and doesn't need to have antibiotics. here's the dr.'s website (www.dupagehomeopathic.com) and here's a newsletter the dr. wrote about chronic ear infections and treating them homeopathically.
http://dupagehomeopathic.com/newsletters/ear_infections.pdf

I just took care of a 38 year old patient where I work with strokes on both sides of his brain that happened after the chiropractor manipulated his neck. Lower back is okay for manipulations, but the neurologist said this was not her first case this year from neck manipulations. Be careful. I go to a chiropractor but only for lower back myself.

1 / 3