Deodorant for Young Daughter

My oldest daughter is 7 1/2 years old, and I just noticed a few days ago that she is starting to have some underarm odor. I was SO not expecting anything like this for at least a few more years. Does anyone know of a gentle deodorant that we could try for her tender little-girl skin? I don't want her to feel emberassed by this new change in her body, but rather embrace it as a part of growing up. I'm afraid that even the deodorants geared towards teens would be way too harsh for her. Something very natural would be ideal. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mamas!

We love Tom's of Maine for deodorant and toothpaste :-)

Oh, and I have used cornstarch based powders.

My young daughter wears Secret clear gel with a scent. She has fun picking out the fun scents when it is time to by a new one. They have rose, apple, pear, etc..I love that it is clear and does not get on her clothes.

My daughter uses Dove deodarant. She has very sensitive skin, and it is the only one that does not give her a rash.
W. M.

What I would suggest doing since she is so young. would be to make sure she washes really well under her armpits and apply a powder like baby powder with cornstarch or something like that to soak up the moisture and see if that helps.

I would have your daughter checked out by a physician. A friend of mine's daughter started developing early due to all the estrogen mimickers in our lifestyles now, and you should make sure this is not the cause of your daughters odor. There are treatments to help stop the progression of early development, if you catch it early enough. For your sake and your daughters health, make sure you get her checked out.

N. T.

You could try Crystal Deodorant - it's mineral salt based.

Bubble and Bee makes the best all natural deodorant! I use it and LOVE it! It works so well!

http://www.bubbleandbee.com/servlet/the-111/Geranium-Lime...

I use baby powder on my daughter nearly every summer. She is seven now. She likes it as we use a powder puff and it makes her feel pretty...Personally, I am not going to let her use deodorant until she gets a little older, but everyone is different...

Most deodorants on the market are too harsh for women of ANY age. Crystal deodorants have achieved much warranted acclaim lately.

Here's an on-going conversation about it, just for the hoot:
http://thebeautybrains.com/2008/02/25/do-mineral-crystal-...

1 / 3