Dark Tooth.....

A couple of weeks ago my 2 1/2 year old slid off of my lap and hit his face on a table. Although there was nothing but a little blood on his lip - he now has a dark tooth. It's turned kind of a tanish color. It's not loose and doesn't appear to be painful for him. I was wondering if this was anything to be overly concerned about or if it is just a "bruised" tooth and will eventually whiten up? Thanks.

I didn't read through all the responses, but just in case nobody mentioned this... I had a "dead tooth" when I was little for the same reason. I hit it really hard on a pole. It was just a baby tooth. However, it didn't just fall out on it's own. It didn't even get loose when it was supposed to. My permanent tooth grew in behind it and the dead tooth had to be pulled. It wasn't too big of deal and I don't know how common it is, but I just wanted to let you know what could happen. Good luck!

my daughter has the same problem. The dentist wasn't worried about it at all. He said it will eventually fall out anyways, but there is no damage to the permanant tooth.

I would take him to the dentist. It may just be bruise but it might have also taken some damage. Good luck!!

I would not be terribly concerned. Your baby is 2 1/2 and that tooth is a baby tooth. Call your local dentist (or whomever it is that your family sees) and ask their professional opinion though. If it was an adult tooth, I'd be more concerned. It will fall out eventually anyway!!

Best of luck!
V.

Hi M.!

Both my second and third sons did this. They're very rough boys! The "Dark tooth" is actually a dead tooth. Your son killed the nerve in his tooth. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done about it. You just have to wait for the tooth to fall out in a few years, when he is about to get his permanent tooth. My two year old did the same thing, right after Thanksgiving, and his tooth turned gray a couple of weeks later. It bites because it is his top front tooth, and very noticeable. He has a very pretty smile but a dark gray tooth that looks awful and we have to wait another 2-3 years before it falls out! It's either that or the dentist can pull it and put a spacer in there until the new tooth is ready to come in. Good luck!

Hi M.!
What a bummer! Unfortunately, this happens often and there isn't much you can do about it, unless you want to go through expensive dental procedures for a baby tooth. Injuring a tooth like that often causes nerve endings to deaden (although not always painful) and the tooth to darken. This happened to my nephew when he was 4 and the dentist said the best thing to do (since it was a baby tooth) was to just leave it be if it wasn't painful and wait until it falls out and his new tooth grew in. I had this happen to an adult tooth when I was 12 and had to go through root canals and internal bleaching...which later on wears off and the tooth becomes dark and unbleachable. It began to get very dark and eventually I had to have a crown put on to cover it up. I would take him to a pediatric dentist though just to be sure there isn't any further damage. Contact me if you need the name of a good dentist. Good luck!

Hi M.:
This same thing happened to my 2 year old daughter. I took her to the dentist and was told that the tooth is basically dyeing. It will stay that way until it falls out. He told me to watch it for about a month closely. If a white bump start to form above it on the gum then it is infected and needs to be seen by the dentist and possibly pulled. Good luck, I hope this helps. I know how sad it is to think they will have a brownish tooth until round 6 or 7 years old!

Take care,
S. A.

My 4 yr old did the same thing about a year ago. Its a dead tooth. Mostly there is no alarm, especially if it doesn't hurt him, but it is worth it to get it checked out by the dentist because other problems, like an infection, can develop because of it. The tooth wont whiten up again, but he will eventually loose it when he looses his baby teeth!

I am a dental hygienist. Your son probably damaged the nerve in his tooth. It probably won't turn back to white because the nerve is dead. When he looses that tooth the new one will be white. Sorry, don't blame yourself. Lots of kids have accidents like that and it happens. You are not to blame. Nothing to worry about though. His tooth should not hurt him unless the nerve gets infected. Then the dentist will pull it. Most of the time the tooth just looks bad and moms worry to death over it.

1 / 3