Curves for Women - Love It, Hate It, Indifferent???

I'm very interested in joining a fitness center before winter. I'm curious to hear any good or bad experiences with Curves. I have had a Bally's membership before but it was intimidating to me and seemed like a meat market-type gym. A YMCA membership sounds appealing, but too costly for our budget. Curves seems to be the best match for what I'm looking for, but would like to hear some first-hand experiences.

I knew of the October Breast Cancer awareness special, where they waive the $150 enrollment fee with a current breast/pap exam. I will take advantage of that and try Curves out! At this point in my "active" life, ANYTHING will create an improvement. At $29/mo for only a year, this is the most reasonable. As far as child care goes, I will be going before my hubby goes to work at 9, so I'll have some precious alone time to get pumped in the morning. Thank you for all your responses!

I refuse to use Curves for personal reasons; I've heard that the owner of the company donates to pro-life organizations, and as I'm vehemently pro-choice, I don't want to contribute to such things, however indirectly.

Hey I am a 28 yr old stay at home mom of two boys as well 2,4 and a boy on the way;-)I belong to gold's gym and have been in the fitness industry since 18 yrs of age. I personally like the gyms with more to offer than curves simply because they offer alot of different class and have more options, most gyms are some what of a meat market but honestly at the golds gym in bliane i totally feel comfortable becuase seriously thier are all shapes and sizes even some of the trianers you would'nt know they were trainers,I dont say that being rude or mean not what so ever! but I think trianer I think total hard body right. What happens at curves well from what I have seen is they have a circiut training Example:they have machines in a big circle and you move from each one several times. this will work for so long then your body will become acustome to this routine and will stop improving or should I say will go into catabolic state.I pay 29.00 a month plus 12.00 for child care I know I like the price of that for sure so i can see where you come from also if you have the option to go with out having to take the kids that works to. You know it all depends on what your goals are and what makes sense financially,and of you are comfortable ;-)If curves is what can work for you right now then go for it something is always better than nothing sister.Well good luck God bless and have fun! M.

I went to curves for a while, it was about 1 month. I liked it but had to stop due to coming back to school. I really liked it. The one in Anoka off of 5th by the school there is wonderful. The attendant Terry is always loving and supportive. They do give out free trials for a week or two also.

girlsand8

Going to Curves for the first time next week to check it out. Any tips from fellow members? Childcare isn't an issue, because my kids are both in elementary school.

In my 40s and looking for an intro to strength training. Thanks.

Hi I joined Curves for a bit last year but ended up cancelling. The reassons are:
1. No childcare and it was hard to find someone to watch my daughter.
2. I never really clicked with the other members. At the centers I went to the people talked to you while you were working out and that is not my thing. I just want to go and zone out.
3. The hours were really short on the weekends when childcare was more available.

My advice for anyone looking to join would be to check the hours of the center, and make sure the staff and environment work for you. Some people really love it. These were just my thoughts. I ended up at the YMCA so my daughter could take swimming and my husband could also workout. We get a discount if we go 8 times a month through our insurance. That helped to make it more affordable. Good luck on your search.

I've never been interested in going to a gym like Lifetime or Northwest because those places aren't designed for people who are overweight. They are designed for people who look nice in spandex.

The reason that Curves doesn't have daycare is because part of the point of it is for you to get a break. It's YOU time. Where you don't have to worry about anything but yourself.

I'm lucky. My husband works nights so he is at home during the day. My 2 year old goes down for his nap at 11 and I go to Curves and wherever else I need to go and I come home and he's getting up.

I don't know if all the hours are the same, but my curves in Otsego is open until 8pm M-Th and 6pm on Fridays. I will agree that they could be open later on Saturdays because they close at 11am and sometimes I can't make it until then but that is more of a "not enough members to make it pay" thing.

You don't have to chat while you work out if you don't want to. Just don't say anything. Most people are there to work out anyway.

Out of the three choices, I would choose indifferent. But, that is only because I love free weights after training with a trainer for a few months at Lifetime. If you want guidance, Curves is a good way to go. What I do not like about it is that there is no childcare and my husband refuses to commit to being around so I can go and I won't go sporadically, so I don't go at all. I have five kids so a sitter wouldn't be in my budget. My favorite gym was Lifetime Fitness is Roseville, which was women's only. No men, free & stimulating childcare on site, showers, it was my thing just for me. I just cannot afford the start up fee at this time, that's how I ended up at Curves. I've heard nice things about this new one called Butterfly Life, I think it's called, and it's women only also. Good luck!

I have heard some good things about curves... I know p[eople who have acually lost weight and gotten in shape going there..
~W.

1 / 3