Curves Work for You?

I've once again decided it's time to do something about my weight. I used to be thin and trim without trying, was very active in sports, aerobics, etc. Then kids came. I've slowly put on weight for the past 10 years. I've tried several "life style changes" (aka - diets). W.W. worked for a while several years ago, I've tried that recently and I just can't seem to stick to it. Also did Thin & Healthy, once again worked for a short while, couldn't handle it in the long run. Prism and I didn't work well together at all. We have a local Curves, but I don't really know anything about it. I was wondering if any of you have tried it, what are the pro's and con's to it, and is it something you'd recommend?
Just found out we'll be going on a cruise in Feb, would love to shed a few pounds before then, though losing around 60 would be my long term goal, I would love to hear a few success stories and tips on how to stay motivated.
Thanks

Try spark people its free sight and you have all the plans for exercising .. and oh did I mention its free!

I never tried it personally but my sister started going there and loved it! In fact she liked it so much she ended up getting a job there and she looked hot. Good Luck C.

I cannot tell you exactly what will or will not work for you. Everyone is different. I joined Curves after I had my son. I went from a size 12 to a size 4-6 (I'm in between sizes). Curves worked so well for me, when a job became available, I applied, and worked part time. What I enjoyed most about the program is that only women are in there working out (no meat market and no need to look your best!) and you're done in 30 mins. Also, when you go in at the same time everyday, you see the same people and develop a connection which in turn you get a support system or as I like to call them, an extended family. I must say, you need to work out a minimum of 3 times per week, as well as focusing on your movements and intensity (not just going through the motions as most do), to see the results. I started with 3 days per week because you can't just jump full strength into any aerobic program and eventually went to 6 days. I'm now back to maintaining with a 3 time per week schedule. If you want to try it out, most Curves locations will give you a two week trial. I recommend you do this and watch for membership specials.

On the flip side. Curves did not work as well for my mother. In fact she had better luck with another program, Take Shape for Life. It's a safe, rapid weight loss program developed by a Dr. Anderson. I learned about the program from my mother-in-law. My, I guess you would say, aunt-in-law lost over 100 lbs in 9 months and has kept the weight off for 2 years now. My mother lost 30 pounds in 3 months and is in the transition stage still dropping the weight. Both my mother and mother-in-law have been able to get off their cholesterol and blood pressure medications. I was so impressed with the program that I just recently became a health coach. If you would like to learn more about the Take Shape program, please feel free to go to www.wendytonnous.tsfl.com (not a solicitation). You will find that more and more doctor's are getting involved with this program for their patients.

Again, I will NEVER tell anyone which weight loss program to choose as EVERYONE is different. It is up to the individual to decide what is right for them. Please look at your options and research thoroughly.

Good Luck to You, T.!

HI T., I had a curves membership a couple years ago. I did it for about six months with no real improvement. At first it was fun i had a friend going with me, then when she dropped it I felt silly going by myself. The curves i went to was pretty small so you were very close to everyone there.(physicaly) I might have lost some intches but not any weight. I also recommend going in and seeing what your curves is all about, I had also toured a y and liked that set up alot better. Good luck!

I do work out at Curves and for me it is the commitment to me. I also am in the health and wellness industry with a great weight management program. You actually loose inches before you loose the pounds because it is powered by the amino acid called leucine, which body builders use to keep their muscle mass when working out. Together the weight management and the curves has truly helped me. I am 56 and never had to diet till about 4 years ago. I want to keep a handle on it before it gets out of control. We can talk more if you like.

I tried curves and liked it. I've never liked going to the gym but there you knew what to do with everything and it was not intimidating at all--I was the youngest by at least a couple of decades most of the time! The only thing I didn't like was that there was no childcare available, so I ultimately dropped my membership and started riding my bike with my little guy on the back. that really helped shed the pounds, and it was good for the environment, we ride to the library, park, local grocery...

Good luck! I know how you feel!!

I did curves for a year after I went through cancer treatment. I like it alright. All the equipment is in a circle and you use the equip for 30 sec I think and then do walking in place or some other movement for 30 and then the next machine. It gets you moving for 30 minutes, there is stretching afterward and I thought it did increase my energy. I did not lose weight, but it was not really my goal. The bad thing is, if there is a lot of talking, you can't concentrate as well, and you really have to think about what you are doing on the machines. The object is to work your muscles very hard on the machines for that short time.

I got the curves membership and didn't like it. You are in a circle and switch machines when the music tells you to. In between machines you have to run in place on these little mats and you feel silly with eveyone watching everyone. The machines weren't hard enough for me even when they taught me the more strenuous way to do them. It felt like a waist of time. I just didn't like it went for 3 months and stopped. I would think an aerobics class or something would be better. Good luck

I have been a member of Curves for years. I like that I can go at anytime and get my workout in. Thirty minutes, and you are done. I would do it on the way to or from errands. The amount of workout you get depends on how fast and hard you work the machines. On the recovery pads, you can vary your movements and add more variety that way. I lost 52 pounds in 9 months by working out, watching what I ate, and drinking lots of water. Then I became pregnant. (Yes, old story, lose weight, get pregnant.) Next year my son will be in 1st grade, so I am hoping I can get back in the zone. I find I like the Smart Machine for motivation. It is amazing the work-out on that machine. I haven't weighed yet, so don't know if it's made a big difference. I found you have to go 3-4 x a week without fail to see results.

Good luck to whatever you try. The most important thing to remember is there is no magic pill. It takes a lifestyle change, but you can do it.
R.

1 / 3