Bluish Purple Spot on Gums

My 14 month old has a blueish purple spot on his gums right where a tooth may be trying to come in. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? It sort of lookes like a bruise.

My oldest had this one time, the dentist said it was a little blood blister from the tooth coming in. He said it would go away soon and it did. Good luck!

Totally normal. My youngest twin girl had this happen when her teeth were coming in. It's funny cause her older twin did not. Every body is different!

My sister in law told me my nephew had that too. He was getting a molar and it stayed bruised for a long time. Finally, the molar came and the brusing went away. My nephew is almost 19 months.

It is a new tooth. I took my son to the doctor only to find out it was just a new tooth : )

I had this same question a few months ago.. I ended up taking my 1 year old to our pediatric dentist Dr.Leary she is awesome anyways it ended up to be food stuck in her gums that turned this blue type of color.They took it out and she didnt even cry.Good Luck

This is normal. Mine would get a perfectly round circle "bruise" on their cheeck too (on face) and then a tooth would come in. If it gets a "pimple" or doesn't clear up in a week or so, then you would want to take them in.

This is completely normal. I rushed my son to the doctor when it happened to him. She said it was just where blood had pooled under the gums while the tooth was coming in. She said not to worry.

I have been a Dental Hygienist of 20 years and have 2 kids. The color blueish purple means there is blood there. Could be a blood bluster from trauma to the tissue or eruption cyst if tooth is coming in soon. Both are nothing to worry about. If child is not in pain I would watch it for now. If it gets worst or child is in pain take him to the Dentist.

1 / 3