2 Yo Son Fell and Hit His Mouth on Side of Coffee Table...

We were at a friends house yesterday and my 2 yo son was running, slipped and fell face first into the corner of the coffee table. Thank goodness the corner was rounded! Anyways, I thought he was okay and just cut his lip a little bit, but when I started inspecting his mouth I noticed his teeth were crooked and pushed inward a little bit. His gums around his teeth were bleeding and bloody and he was hysterical for awhile until I put some orajel on his gums. This seemed to help. This morning when he woke up his lip is swollen and his gums are purple!! I called the Dr. and she said there's not much to do and just wait until tomorrow to take him to the dentist. I just feel so awful! I'm so afraid that he is going to lose his teeth. They aren't loose, but since he hit them so hard they may die and fall out. Has anyone had this happen to your child? I'd love to hear your stories.

Update 7/14/08 12:00 pm: We took him to the dentist which he was not happy about AT ALL. He wouldn't let them even look at him, so they just told us there's not much to do. If the teeth are dead, they will leave them in unless an abcess forms. They did get to check if they are loose and they are not. They told me I could try to push them out a little bit everyday to try to reposition them. We will go back in 6 months. Thank you all for the responses and stories! It makes me feel a little bit better. I still can't help but feel guilty for what happened, and I'm honestly feeling a little vain for him. Oh well, boys will be boys and I'm sure this isn't gonna be his last accident. Thank you all!!!

Update 7/15/08 8:30 am: My husband didn't feel very comfortable with the last dentist we saw, so we are taking him to a pediatric dental specialist. It's the dentist office I went to when I was growing up so I trust them. I really would feel more comfortable if they were able to take x-rays just so we can see what's going on inside. My heart breaks every time I look at him. You can't see his teeth unless he smiles. I know it's minor, but it still gets to me.

My son jumped on his "Big Boy Bed" after reading Skippyjon Jones and tore his gums and the ligament that connects his upper lip to his gums. Of course it was 11pm so we rinsed it iced it and put oragel & called Kaiser - they told us to watch for evidence of a concussion and to wake him every 2 hours. The next morning I called our dentist and she saw him that day because of his age etc. She took X-rays and gave us a more potent gel to put on it and we took him back for a follow-up 2 weeks later.
SO, don't listen to your Dr. call a dentist ASAP & get him checked today. It sounds worse than my son & he may need intervention to save his teeth and prevent the adult teeth from growing in crooked or worse.
Stop reading & go NOW!!!!!!!!!

Hi Stacie,
My daughter fell and hit the side of the bathtub with her mouth. There was a little bit of bleeding and swollen afterward. I brought her to the Pediatric Dentist a week later. The dentist told me that it's not advisiable to take an x-ray since my daughter was only 1.5 year old. The best thing is to watch the growth of the tooth. If it turns gray -- more than likely, your son will loose the tooth since the nerves were damaged. Howver, if it looks pink -- even red, it's ok.

For my daughter, she broke part of the front tooth; but, she didn't loose it. I brought her back to the dentist for additional check up and was told that the tooth is fine -- only cosmetic issue.

I hope your son will recover soon and not loose his tooth.

P.

Hi, S.!
I was a dental assistant and I have seen kids in the office that had the same experience as your son. When you take him to the dentist, they might take some xrays to check if there's any damage on the root of the tooth. If any of the teeth broke at the root, the dentist might remove the tooth, otherwise the dentist will leave them alone. It may help to give him some baby tylenol for the pain (or call the pediatrician for any advice on pain meds).

Something similar happened to my sister when she was young.

Please have your son taken to the Dentist to be looked at. Because everything is SOOOO bruised, I'm sure it looks terrible.

Your son's baby teeth will only fall out anyway, so you probably don't need to worry about those. But you need to know if the impact of the fall damaged his nerves for his Adult Teeth. You want to know if his adult teeth will be effected. A Dentist may/may not be able to answer this.

A Dentist can certainly tell you if his mouth is ok, though, and what to expect later.

:o) N.

Hi S., I understand how you are feeling 100%. The SAME EXACT thing happened to my older son when he was about 2yrs old. His gums and the part of the tooth nearest the gums also turned purple and I would have bet any amount of money that they were going to fall out (his were actually loose!!) They DID NOT fall out, it took a few weeks for them to get strong again... but they did repair the damage on their own. It is true that the roots (depending on the amount of damage) may decide to resorb and the teeth may fall out, but it is possible for them to get better. Unfortunatly it is a waiting game. Good Luck!

YES, my middle child did this. She was 4 when it happened. She fell on a ladder at gymnastics class. her teeth were bleeding as well. I didn't think much of it, except for that she was bleeding and upset, so we left the gym and went home. I let her rest (sometimes she would over react to getting hurt) I was able to give a bag of ice. I had to go to a baby shower. When I came back, she wouldn't close her mouth, and the bag of water (started as ice) was still in her mouth, she wouldn't remove it. My husband said that she fell esleep she would wake right up when she would close her mouth. So we went to the ER. By that time she was more reasonable. They gave her kiddy vicodin and would not do an xray because it wouldn't get the right picture anyway, and we would have to make an appointment with our dentist. Her teeth were loose as well, but they said to feed her soft foods. We took her to the dentist that monday and the took an xray and determinded though her baby teeth were damaged and already starting to turn grey, that her upper jaw was not broken and her adult teeth were fine. The dentist suggested we keep an eye on the teeth and gums and if they started to swell and blister it means there was an infection caused by the dead teeth and that they would be removed.

She still has her teeth and they are still discolored but they are solid, no movement and she is fine a year later...

Super scary. Especially will someone so young!

Yup, the first place I'd be today, is the dentist!
My youngest fell while standing on the toilet seat at 18 mos. She hit the tub & chipped about 2/3 of her tooth (molar). She was going to have that tooth for awhile before the adult tooth arrived, so I had it crowned. My husband's family thought I was crazy, but it was the right thing to do.
My oldest daughter fell & hit her mouth after she slid down a pole at the playground. Her front tooth changed color, but never fell out. We checked every 6mos for its condition after xrays were taken. Her permanent teeth came in perfect. Good Luck.

This happened to my son when he was 3 yrs old. He was running on Gramma's hardwood floor, slipped and fell face first. I thought the same thing-that he just cut his mouth. The next day I noticed that his front teeth were pushed up, a little loose, and one was bent back slightly, and I panicked. I, too, felt so bad! To make a long story short...the dentist said that they probably wouldn't move back & if they did die, they would sart to turn color within 6 months. I heard all these horror stories from misc. people and could not imagine my Niki toothless for three or more years! The good news is: they didn't die, and my son at the time chewed on his fingers alot, and I guess that helped straighten out his teeth, too! He is now 4 1/2, and has a perfect smile!

1 / 3