Best Shoes for Heel Pain

Hey Moms!

I have a lot of pain in my heel (pretty sure it's from a heel spur) and I need some new athletic shoes. I'm looking for a pair that, at the very least, will not hurt my heel any worse but I'm hoping for some that might actually make it feel better.

I've looked at Nike Shox and have heard really good things about them, but no one I've spoken to has heel pain like I do.

I know this is a pretty common problem and I'm curious to see what shoes you ladies have come across that have helped you out.

Thanks in advance!!!

I'd see a good podiatrist. I have trouble with my feet and I have custom orthotics ($400) but they have been worth it. I wear Asics daily with my orthotics. I don't have much trouble as long as I am consistant with my shoes. I went to Plano Orthopedic and Sports Medicine (FANTASTIC) Dr.s and my Dr. was very specific about the types of shoes I wear. Also, for non-athletic shoes, he said Merrill, Born and Earth are good.

I do go out on weekends and will sometimes wear my heels but I am right back to the orthotics when I do that. I no longer wear flip flops for a long period of time.

I'd check to see if your insurance covers a visit to a podiatrist. I have arthritis in both feet, fallen arches, etc. My husband has heel spurs. We both have orthotics for our shoes, and our podiatrist is VERY particular about what kind of running shoes to get - basically have to have no built-in stability for the orthotic to do what it's supposed to.

So, that would be my recommendation. Most insurances will cover the cost of the appointment as well as anything you might need (such as orthodics) to help offset the pain.

There was also a post yesterday about Sketcher's new shoes that everyone swore took a lot of pressure off of their back, legs, and feet.

I have a similar issue and have been using SuperFeet insoles instead of the factory insoles. They might take a little getting used to at first, as there is a rigid bump in the arch that helps support and lengthen the plantar fascia, but it has done wonders at minimizing my heel pain. In terms of shoes, I'm a big fan of Saucony's running shoes. They provide great support and cushioning in the heel while I work out or run.

I"m not a big fan of Shox, particularly because they run narrow and don't provide adequate support for flat feet while running, but the one pair of Shox that did fit me well were very comfortable and didn't aggravate my heel pain.

Good luck and I hope your heels feel better soon.

I had severe heel pain a few years ago and mentioned it to my chiropractor. She in turn did a procedure on my feet and gave me some stretches and the pain went away. Just thought I'd share.

I had some horrible heel / foot pain a few years back. Standing up in the morning felt like I was walking on knives. It healed up fairly quickly with some good arch support. With Birkenstock sandals in the summer and clogs in the winter, my feet are completely pain free. They are not athletic shoes, but I've never had a sneaker that made my feet feel so good as Birkenstock s. I swear by them.

I use a pretty heavy-duty shoe - Brooks Ariel for superior motion control in addition to Sof Sole inserts. My foot pain decreased significantly once I started wearing them.

I have been dealing with plantar fasciitis for several months now. The x-ray showed a pretty significant heel spur. I had the cortisone shots done and had orthotics made. I also wore a night splint at night. Nothing helped until I bought some of those gel heel cups. I put them in any shoes I'm wearing. They work especially well in my jogging shoes because the fit is snug. My heel hasn't felt this great since last summer. You can find them at any shoe or sporting goods store. Good luck!

When I was 1st diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, my doctor told me to get New Balance sneakers. They did help. I personally love the 608 cross trainers.

Ultimately, I had to see a podiatrist. He gave me a cortisone shot in my heel, and I had to buy $350 custom orthotics. It really did help, and was worth the money. I no longer need the orthotics, and only get pain if I wear shoes without support (like flip flops) for a while.

1 / 3