My Feet Are Killing Me!!

When I was pregnant with my son, I had occasional pain in my feet and ankles. Now that I have had another kid, my heels and pads of my feet have constant sharp pains in them. I have seen a podiatrist , and he gave me arch support insoles to wear in my shoes. He says I have plantar fascitis. All I know is that my feet only ache when I have shoes on , but are very painful without my shoes on, WhenI wake up in the morning, I have a very difficult time walking. It feels almost as if the bottom of my feet are bruised. My question to all of you is " does anyone know how I can make them stop hurting?' Any advise would be greatly appreciated. THank you

Great big thank you's to all who have responded. I am tryingthe calf stretches, along with massage, heat and ice. So far the pain has aleveated immensly. You all are a life saver. Thanks again, C. D

YES! Earth Shoes. They HEALED my plantar facitis (within 3 weeks of wearing them exclusively.)

I have had major foot issues since childbirth. I also invested in a pair of Danskos to help with the outer foot pain.

The platar fac. seemed to come back after my 3rd, and i think it was from getting up rapidly in the middle of the night to go to my Little one. (Hobbling to my LO is more like it, as my feet were in Excrutiating pain!) I tried to remember to put my Earth shoes on first, but that was hard to do at 2am, 4am or whenever he was up.

I still religiously wear my Earth shoes inside the house (we mainly have hardwood floors). ANd now - i am pain free.

I have planter faciitis and I had to get custom made orthodics, which has virtually taken away the pain. It used to be pretty severe (couldn't walk, etc), but the orthodics helped a ton, that and new shoes as soon as they wear out. It can be pricey, but worth it! Good luck, Rox

I had the same thing and they told me to strech my feet before I got out of bed every morning. Also to always wear shoes and supports in them. However the thing that really helped me was a cortizone shot in the bottom of my foot. Then I always work the New Balance shoes with a number over 600 with a support in them. I hope this helps. It is hard with a little one to run after.

My husband (who is a coach), takes white, athletic tape and tapes the sole for support. He says a few days of being supported make it go away for weeks/months at a time.

I also have plantar facsitis. There are several keys to living with it (unfortunately it is a chronic condition but the good news is that you can manage it):
1. ALWAYS wear the support insoles in your shoes.
2. NEVER go barefoot.
3. Strech your calf muscles! I stretch several times during the day.
4. Ice your foot when it is painful or after a lot of activity. (I play tennis so after I play I sit down and immediately ice my foot for 10 minutes.) Fill a styrofoam cup with water and put it in your freezer. After the water has frozen, take the cup out and peel back the top a little bit so just ice is exposed. Put that ice directly on the bottom of your foot on the arch (yes, it will be shockingly cold but you will get used to it, make yourself do it) rub the ice back and forth across the arch and down onto your heel. Have a towel handy to catch the water as your ice melts. Do this for 7-10 minutes until the bottom of your foot feels really numb.
5. If you are still having problems, see a physical therapist. They can do treatments to help with the pain (I had to have an ultrasound treatment a couple of times a week for several weeks), explain what the condition is and help you manage it.
Good luck! Take action, the pain will only get worse if you don't but it will improve if you do. I am pain-free as long as I consistently wear my supports, stretch and ice after tennis.

My husband is an Applied Kinesiologist and fixes foot problems like this all the time. Arch supports are great if the bones and muscles of the foot have been checked and are aligned and working properly. If that hasn't been addressed, they are worthless. So, I'd look for an Applied Kinesiologist near you. If you need help, let me know.

I have it too. Mine really intensified after my second pregnancy. Don't ever walk around barefoot--always wear some sort of supportive slipper or shoe. I have had a hard time finding slippers with soles thick enough for me so I now use Crocs as slippers in the house. It works well for me because they have such thick bottoms. When I buy shoes I always make sure they have strong, supportive soles. No thin-soled shoes or flats. I always wear water shoes at the beach or pool too. Land's End makes some nice supportive ones that are sturdy and wear well. About the only time I am barefoot is when I am sleeping or in the shower. If you take care of your feet it does improve with time. Good luck.

I'd suggest consulting a personal trainer about working with something called a Peroneus Prehabilitative Tensile Band (it's basically, a giant rubber band). It's known for being used by Michael Jordan when he had ankle injuries. But, it's not just for ankle rehabbing. You might also consult a massage therapist. The massage therapist might be able to work with your feet to alleviate the fascia spasming. The personal trainer can work with you train your feet muscles to basically, work better so that they don't cause you pain with the spasming. Good luck.

I had a similar experience, but for me it seemed to be a cumulative effect of walking on hard wood floors (or tile) for several years. I found I did a lot more standing in the kitchen after my kids were born and my feet started killing me. If I remember to wear my shoes always in the house, I have no pain. If I forget and wander around barefoot, they hurt even after just a few minutes. Crocs or something similar are the perfect in-house shoe. Soft, and not too hot. Hope that helps!

C. D,

I also suffer from this problem. I have two children (9 and 6) and have noticed this condition for a while now. Sometimes I will rub and squeeze my feet and heels before I get out of bed, or just when they are feeling sore. Also, stretching your feet in the morning helps ease pain. You grab hold of your toes and pull back towards you as far as you can and hold it for a few seconds. Another recommendation is rolling your feet across a tennis ball to massage the bottoms of your feet. It really helps! Hope these ideas will help you out. I noticed several people that mention these tips.

A.

1 / 3