Bed Rest - Plainfield, IL

I am 31 weeks pregnant and after a scare with pre-term labor, I am on home bed rest until the baby arrives. The problem is that I will not be able to attend our birthing classes or the breast-feeding class. Does anyone know of anyway I can get some home instruction on either of these topics?

K.:

congratulations on the pregnancy... Bed rest is not fun... sorry.

I often meet with mother's prentatlly to discuss questions and concerns about breastfeeding. I would be happy to come to you.

P. < RLC, IBCLC
Pres. Lactation Support Group, Inc.
www.lactationsupportgroup.com
800 LACTATE

Why don't you try calling the hospital that you are delivering at and ask them if they have any recomendations. Regarding Breast-feeding, try calling up Le Leche... they will have a lactation consultant in the area that you can hire to help you.

Hope you find some one.

KK

I know a doula and a Bradley method instructor not far from you. What type of classes were you interested in. I can put you guys in touch and she may be willing to do private classes. There are many teachers who would be willing to do this

K.:

P. < RLC, IBCLC
Pres. Lactation Support Group, Inc.
www.lactationsupportgroup.com
800 LACTATE

If you can find a doula they are VERY helpful with those sort of things. You can also call the Le Leche League in your area for breastfeeding help!

Good Luck with the rest of your pregnancy

Try your local library. You can also call the hospital that you are going to be delivering your baby at and rent instructional/informational videos from them.

The main thing you get out of those classes is to learn to recognize the signals your body is giving; learn how to relax and breathe; and obviously the videos on what to expect.

I hope this is helpful!

H.

You can probably get a lactation consultant to come in your home... but when we delivered we watched the video in the hosp room and the RN helped us. I bet you can get a video from a library? or hospital?

K.- there was a lady on bedrest when I was taking my class and her doctor let her out of bed for 1 week per week to come to the class. I don;t know if that is your situation. As far as breastfeeding, The Nursing Mother's Companion is the best as far as good practical advice. Also there are websites with video for latching techniques and such.

Good luck- I wish you a healthy rest of your pregnancy!!

K.,
I'm not sure what hospital you will deliver at, but I went to Central Dupage Hosptial in Winfield and they gave me a whole notebook/binder of materials that cover caring for your baby and tons of reading on breast feeding. Maybe you could call ahead the hospital and see if you could get the information before the baby arrives? The best help I recieved on breast feeding was from the lactation specialist at the hospital once my daughter was born. They will come and visit you as often as you request them.
Good luck and try to relax and get your rest now - you will need it once that little one comes along. ~ K.

K.:
I am a certified childbirth educator and a labor support doula.
Where do you live? What hospital are you planning to deliver from? When are you do?
Depending on your answers, you could possibly hire a certified doula to come to your home and teach you classes. Also there are classes available on line at IVillage About Pregnancy.com click on the link to childbirth classes. Of course this does not really teach you the breathing and positioning and comfort measures that you will really need. Are you thinking natural birth? or epidural? Write back, possibly I could help you or link you up with someone who can.
K. M.

You can call Edwards Hospital they actually offer classes, but I'm sure that if you tell them your situation they will send you the information that they give out at the classes I believe that there is even a video for one of them. Give them a call Good Luck!!!

1 / 3