What Are Some Good Books?

I am 32 having my first child in May. I have decided to have an epidural and I would like to breast feed. Does anyone have any suggestions on reading material to know what to expect with birth and also breast feeding tips?

Congratulations, A.! How exciting for you. I think every pregnant woman should be required to read A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer. For breastfeeding, you can't beat LaLecheLeague's The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. It is extremely helpful.
Best wishes,

All of Dr. Sears's books are fantastic. I found many of them to be helpful and you can find them in the birth section at Barnes and Noble.

Another fun breastfeeding book is "Breastfeeding Sucks". I liked it because it prepared me for the worst, but let me know that it was all going to be worth it. And then when the worst didn't happen, I felt great!

Here is a link on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-Sucks-What-Mammaries-...

Best wishes,

The Art of Breastfeeding-my favorite...it's put out by La Leche League, I believe.
Birthing From Within-a great birthing book.

for later...The SleepEasy Solution-just might save your sanity and your marriage :)

I Agree that the "what to expect " book is the best! And definitely use a lactation specialist and don't try to do it on your own! Get a good breast pump so you can sleep and your husband can do a feeding or two once breast feeding is established.

Your Dr can recommend good ones specific to what you want to know, however "What to Expect when you are expecting" was by far the best book I read about what to know was going to happen. Epidurals are AWESOME! :) Had them with both and enjoyed the process much better after it kicked in.
At your hospital they will help you with breast feeding, most hospitals have lactation specialist on hand to help you out. Good luck and CONGRATS! VERY EXCITING!!!

A great resource book is The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins. I am a RN and on my hospital's lactation support team. They had us all read this book as a basic text for problem solving. I remember when my first was born that I poured through it for answers to my questions and it was very helpful.

There are a number of breastfeeding sites as well. You can look at la leche league information or anything by Jack Newman. He's a world renowned breastfeeding expert. I had the privelege of attending a conference he spoke at. He has articles at www.breastfeedingonline.com and his own site at www.drjacknewman.com.

Good luck to you! You won't regret breastfeeding, it is so great. Just go into it realizing that it can be difficult for the first few weeks and after that it's fantastic. Such a great bonding experience and it really helps with weight loss. I couldn't believe how relaxing it was for me, it actually helped me with my stress levels!

I don't know any off-hand. But I do want to caution that there are a lot of opinions out there, don't let that stress you out. Epidurals are great, don't ever let anyone else's natural experience make you feel bad for having one. I did, but now I am at peace with it and know it does not make me less of a woman, every woman is different and needs different things. Just follow the instructions of the anesthesioligist and pay close attention to when you have to push, there are machines, husbands, nurses, and doctors that can tell you that. Breast feeding comes natural to some, and not so natural to others. I have had a lot of friends that have struggled with this, and were in a lot of pain at first. I wasn't, for some reason. Be prepared for anything. My first took to breastfeeding naturally, immediately, my second it took a couple of days for him to figure it out, but he did. If it is something you really want to do, my best advice is relax, don't worry, that's the best way for it to come naturally. Don't give up. Even with all the books and advice you receive, you might still have problems, and even if you don't receive any advice it may all just come totally natural. Congratulations. I remember when my daughter was born, she was our first, it was one of the happiest times of my life. She is now 3 it goes by so fast. You will do fine if you believe in yourself. Prayer helps more than anything.

Here is a link on Amazon:

1 / 3