Hi L., Please don't worry. The scratches go away as quickly as they come. Nonethelss, our LO still scratches himself at 21 months. He has sensitive skin. Here is what we do:
1. I don't clip, as it is hard to miss those edges. i file each day when he sleeps with a glass file which is more gentle than a cardboard emery board. You need to be careful as the tip is sharp, which is why i do it while he sleeps. (only in the last month or do can i do when he is awake as he understands.
2. i keep his skin moist to a. keep it from being itchy. b. even if he scratches, moist skin does not "scratch" as easily.
3. I use cetaphil to wash him which keeps his natural body moisture.
4. Make sure your LO does not see any concern on your face. I sing a song when I check out a scratch or bump.
5. don't worry. all scratches heal quickly :)