Activities - Newtown,CT

My family just moved into Newtown a few months back! My son goes to Preschool in Monroe, and I've just been told that he is extremely shy. I knew my son wasn't the loudest kid in the class, by far, but for her to bring it to my attention, I thought..ok I need to work on this. I'm thinking the best thing for my little man right now is to get him involved in activities in town so he can get to know some kids his age before heading to Kindergarten. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for things in and/or around Newtown. Any and all suggestions welcome! Thank you!!

Mr. Turtle's school is a wonderful program in Sandy Hook. They have a website. The program has done wonders for my very shy daughter. Welcome to Newtown! We love it here.

Welcome! You have chosen a wonderful place to live. :)

All three of my kids have taken or are currently taking classes at Tumble Jungle. It is a wonderful, nurturing, fun place to go to, and they have a variety of activities and classes to choose from.

My second child was quiet and has a minor disability, and the owner and staff couldn't be more accommodating or loving.

I live in Monroe and when my girls were younger they did soccer training with Joe Couto at the Sports Zone in Trumbull (it is on Trefoil Drive so it is close to the Monroe border. Here is the web site:
http://www.thesportszone.net/sports/Champion%20Training%2...

I cannot say enough positive things about Coach Couto. He is an excellent role model for kids. He teaches them about soccer, but also, and probably more importantly, teaches them about some life lessons (i.e., the value of teamwork, self confidence, being healthy, etc.). I would highly encourage you to look into this activity. His sessions are generally 8 weeks long, but he's usually flexible about having kids join a class at any time if he has space. He will probably be open to having you come visit a class if you ask.

Welcome to Newtown - a great place to live! I'm in New Fairfield, and often go to Brookfield, Danbury or Bethel for child-friendly activiites. Check out the libraries for these towns and Newtown - there's often story-time or other activities where you can meet other parents and children. Also check out the MOMS Club, as previously suggested. This is a great group to get to know other moms/children and find playmates. Other options are the town hall, schools and preschools - they often have lists of local activities. Good luck - and feel free to send me an email directly if you want more ideas!
Teri

Hi A.. Welcome to Newtown! My fourth child is also in preschool (in Newtown) and is very quiet around his teachers and peers, so I can relate to your situation. My son would probably function best in small groups or one-on-one playdates. Maybe a playdate once or twice a month with another child from school would help. Newtown offers lots of great programs through Parks & Rec as well as Tumble Jungle (next to Panera Bread on rt. 25), which is terrific. I also belong to MOPS (Mothers of PreSchoolers) which meets once a month at Walnut Hill Community Church in Bethel. It's a great support network for moms with young children, and they provide childcare during the 2-1/2 hour meeting (so that would be more interaction with other children in a classroom setting for your son). The coordinator is Sandi Miller (____@____.com).
I wish you many happy times here in Newtown...it's a great place to raise a family!

In monroe there is Playtime Village, which is a big play area that kids under 5 can go to and play with peers...I think their website is playtimevillage.com. It is a nice place to go.

Also in monroe is a great music school that I take my daughter to - Music for Little Hands, they do Kindermusic lessons. Musicforlittlehands.com

I think there is some type of gym type place that gives lessons in Newtown - I think it is called Tumble Jungle. I don't have any experience with them.

As your preschool for suggestions too, maybe a play group type thing with other kids in his class.

Good luck and welcome!

The Mom's Clubs and Newcomers's clubs usually schedule weekly/monthly activities as well as playgroups. I belong to chapters in Fairfield, but you can find some in your area. I think that the Mom's Club of Brookfield also supports Newtown.

http://www.newtownnewcomers.com/
http://momsclubofbrookfield.tripod.com/

Best of Luck,

I was always worried about my daughter (19 months) being too shy. Early on, I joined our local mom's club and a group run by one of our hospital's lactation consultants. Have you looked into a mom's club. I don't know about the other groups, but Bethel has a lot of great activities every month. You can look into joining your local chapter via the following: http://www.momsclub.org

Also, have you looked at indoor play facilities like Playtime Village in Monroe or Top Flight? Even your nearest library may have some fun activities.

1 / 3